The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

There are a lot of threads on here about Middlewood. A lot of patients were born there as having children "out of wedlock" was frowned upon. Many spent the rest of their lives there. As I say there are many threads try searching some out as many are written by people like me who worked there. I didn't know him BTW

Whilst it is true that many patients were placed into the community, some had infact spent far too long insititutionalised to adapt comfortably. I believe many patients were moved to Whitely Woods unit.

The Middlewood admission registers and case papers are deposited with Sheffield archives. They re-open September 5th after refurbishment.

There is a 100 year closure on the records but relatives can access the records if the person has died with permission from:

The Chief Executive

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals (NHS Foundation Trust)

c/o Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Rd, Sheffield 10

Tuppie

When middlewood closed a lot of residential homes in sheffield opened up to take on some on the patients. There are too many residential homes which opened to name.

Anyone remember a patient called Eveline Powell?

Hi, I didn't work at Middlewood, but as a child we had a family friend called Eveline Powell, who also went by the name of loulou(?); and I know she had had mental health problems. She died about 10 years ago and I think it was Chesterfield she lived then. I'll check with my Mum later today.

Hi Everyone,

I have just recently gotten a copy of my Uncles Death Certificate and he died at Middlewood Hospital and he was found by a Jacqueline Sheils Hone. I was hoping that someone may know her or how to contact her - it's so that i maybe able to find out more about my Uncle or maybe get some more images of him. My Uncles name was Charles William Scarborough ( Know as the Gentle Giant ), he died in 1992 as a welder at Middlewood Hospital.

...we had a family friend called Eveline Powell, who also went by the name of loulou(?); and I know she had had mental health problems. She died about 10 years ago and I think it was Chesterfield she lived then...
Hi - public records show that an Evelyn Powell, born 15 October 1915, died in the Chesterfield area in December 1993.

i once slept with friends in the bell tower after it was shut (90s) on haloween...was dead scary but we found a letter (guessing from a relative) it was very interesting...i might still have it!

Hi Ya nadinhistory, VERY interesting story - If i was around back then i to would have joined you in the Bell tower, as a kid me and my friends used to love scaring each other - we used to to most of it on the Manor Fields & In City Road Cemetery. I'd love to see a copy of the letter if you still have it! James

if i still have it it will be at my mums house in southey....i went to bradfield school so we used to drive past every day on the way to school! they still had the padded cells in some of the rooms but some rooms you couldnt get into ...wish i had taken a camera!