The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Hi again, I have been considering the posibility of getting some photo's sorted of the old Middlewood Hospital, the original building and getting some history writings done, these pics would be freely available to everyone who wants to see them as they would be hosted by myself........so if you are interested in this project, let me know, contributors would be more than welcome.

Have you got a copy of the Centenary Handbook ?

Some good info and photos in there.

I had one but it went missing when I moved house !!

nah, not got that book, but I was considering getting some up to date pics anyways.

I had some pictures and lent them to a neighbour. Will have to get them back. Someone on the estate told me that a star newspaper team had taken lots of pics when the place was first closed. I went into the news shop to enquire left my name and number and guess what...... nothing. I will revisit the shop so watch this space.

blue, would you be up to having a meeting to discuss this project ?

If so, get in touch and we can arrange a date and time.

The more people working on this, the better.

Unfortunately, this project is not possible, I have spoken to the relevant people and due to safety issues, there is no possibility of doing anything that I was thinking of, so, sorry to bear bad news.

Hey, Im an art student and im particulary interested in getting some images of the old place, how much of it still stands if any? Ive got some photos of assylums that you guys might like to see. Just get in touch

Thanks

Hi---I trained as a Psychriatric nurse at Middlewood hospital,and was there from 1958--1975.When I left to come to Canada,I was a chargenurse. I have a copy of the 1973 centennial handbook of the history of Middlewood hospital,photos etc.It was sad to learn that the hospital was no longer there.My parents also worked there from 1927 until they retired,as chargenurse and sister respectively.My name is Mike Turner,in case anybody remembers me,and I now live in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada.I recently retired here as a senior nursing officer.It amazes me to learn that Kingswood block has been converted into luxury apartments,and called Kingswood Hall.I was night chargenurse of that block in 1973 and 1974.Its a wonder the building isnt haunted with all the people who lived there since 1873.

Originally posted by herries

Hi---I trained as a Psychriatric nurse at Middlewood hospital,and was there from 1958--1975.When I left to come to Canada,I was a chargenurse. I have a copy of the 1973 centennial handbook of the history of Middlewood hospital,photos etc.It was sad to learn that the hospital was no longer there.My parents also worked there from 1927 until they retired,as chargenurse and sister respectively.My name is Mike Turner,in case anybody remembers me,and I now live in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada.I recently retired here as a senior nursing officer.It amazes me to learn that Kingswood block has been converted into luxury apartments,and called Kingswood Hall.I was night chargenurse of that block in 1973 and 1974.Its a wonder the building isnt haunted with all the people who lived there since 1873.

ITs great to hear about the history of the hospital, had wondered why the apartments were call Kingswood Hall and now I know they were named after the block.

As for it being haunted I hope not, haven't seen any ghosts yet, lets hope it stays that way!

my wife worked there from 1967 and used to be a sister there,she seems to remember a sister there called Kitty Turner .Was this your mother? I work with quite a few of the old worksyard lads ,the joiners ,electricians and plumbers e.t.c .If you are interested about the Middlewood site then,where 621 Middlewood road used to be is going to be a medical centre .Behind that there are plans to put "affordable housing" I believe similar to the housing where Kelvin flats used to be . I think this puts the most desirable part of Sheffield into doubt!

I have just found out that my great grandfather, Tom Hinchliffe, died in what I think was Middlewood Hospital in 1928.

His death certicate says South Yorkshire Mental Hospital, Wadsley, Ecclesfield R.D. However is cause of death is given as Fatty Degeneration of the Heart (2 years).

Does this sound like I have the right place and if so can anyone tell me how I would be able to access his hospital records.

Many thanks