Jeffcock name in Sheffield

My brain hurts now and I think I have just about exhausted every avenue on researching the name Jeffcock in Sheffield.

I know William Jeffcock was the first Mayor of Sheffield but I would love to know more about the family who originated from the Handsworth area of Sheffield.

Can anyone help me out here? Do you know anyone by the name of Jeffcock or are you related in any way to the surname?

Do you know anything about the history of the family?

All help or information would be greatly appreciated.

there was a family called jeffcock in ecclesfield they used to own a small shop i heard the mum had now died but the lad is still around i think the shops now closed and being rebuilt its behind the white bear pub on stocks hill

I knew a lad from school called Jeffcock, who lived on Parkhill flats. His father did a lot of time, and I think he was well known in the area. From what I can remember they were a great family, always laughing.

I thnk there is a Dr at Crystal Peaks called Jeffoock.

hazel

There is a lot of history with the Jeffcock name and the Park Hill/Duke Street area of Sheffield going back as far as I can trace to the 1841 census of Sheffield.

I wonder if this lad from the Park Hill area was anything to do with these. They were publicans.

William Jeffcock was born in April 1800 in Handsworth. His baptism is recorded in the Parish Registers and, although he died in Ireland, he is buried in a family vault in Handsworth. Both his ancestors and his descendants were prominent local figures - wealthy and respectable. But the historical importance of William Jeffcock lies in the fact that in 1843, he became the very first Mayor of Sheffield.

The Jeffcock family settled in Handsworth in the 17th century, having moved from Eckington in Derbyshire. The first record of the family name occurs in the Court Rolls of the Manor of Eckington in 1351. But they settled in the Handsworth parish and there are over 60 entries in the Parish Registers registers for members of the Jeffcock family between 1636 and a 1768.

John Jeffcock, the father of William, established the family name as coal Masters by becoming colliery engineer at Dore House Colliery in Handsworth. William was able to build upon his father's commercial success by entering the realm of the local government. He was keen to play an active role in the civic affairs and so became a candidate for Attercliffe ward in the town's first municipal elections on 1st November 1843.

Although he polled only 80 votes, William was elected. Meeting for the first time on 9th November 9 1843, the new town council unanimously chose William Jeffcock to be the first Mayor of Sheffield. He also became an Alderman and remained on the Council for 10 years. He was also nominated as a Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire in 1846 and he held a Commission in the West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry for some time.

For many years, the Jeffcocks lived in nearby High Hazels John Jeffcock was the first to live there, but it was his son William who built a new mansion on the site in 1850. The closeness of the Jeffcock connection to Handsworth can be seen in St Mary's churchyard. Two box tombs in memory of the family bear inscriptions to over a dozen Jeffcocks. There are tributes to members of the Jeffcock family in St Mary's Church and there is a (disused) fountain and water trough bearing inscriptions to the family on a curve of Handsworth Road.

My aunts were Jeffcocks, before marriage....

The family lived opposite the water tower, at Norton, until the nineteen-eighties.

Their mother was a Florence Jeffcock, I forget their father's name... (Jeffcock, obviously lol)

PT

Originally posted by ceevee

I knew a lad from school called Jeffcock, who lived on Parkhill flats. His father did a lot of time, and I think he was well known in the area. From what I can remember they were a great family, always laughing.

The lad's name was ***** Jeffcock, if I remember correctly. Seem to recall him having some 'anger management' issues.

Edited by malagablade
i didnt write it!!!