Car insurance under 25; Driving other cars extension.

Im going through the process of re-newing my car insurance. I am currently with Tescos and have found them to be the cheapest.

This time round im looking for a fully comprehensive policy that will enable me to drive other cars third party. Problem with this scenario is that I am under 25.

I have spent the whole day ringing different companies and haven't had much luck so far. One thing I know is that it isn't an industry standard, there are companies out there that offer it, problem is it tends to be really expensive!.

Anyone any ideas?

maybe its just me, but i've always found that my insurance allows me to drive other cars 3rd party with the owners consent. i've had that kind of insurance since i was 18 and i'm sure i wouldn't have paid extra for it, or not alot extra anyway.

Originally posted by LL200

maybe its just me, but i've always found that my insurance allows me to drive other cars 3rd party with the owners consent. i've had that kind of insurance since i was 18 and i'm sure i wouldn't have paid extra for it, or not alot extra anyway.

i'd check your insurance. i'm not saying your wrong but in my experience thats unusual.

the usual clauses allow fully comp drivers to drive any car with 3rd party cover. this is on their own insurance.

occasionally u can drive under the owners insurance cover.

the usual clauses allow fully comp drivers to drive any car with 3rd party cover

thats what i said.

edit:

...although to be fair i didn't mention that i was talking about fully comp insurance :)

Last time I looked if you have full comp or tp cover you are covered to drive any other car tp only anywhere in the EU. This used to be European law.

the u25 thing only comes in if the other person has an open driving policy (which allows anyone over 25 to drive their car fully comp occasionally.

unless things have altered rapidly in the last year.

Originally posted by LL200

thats what i said.

sorry i made the assumption to u & 4bes were on 3rd party type insurance at the moment. my mistake.

I have checked my policy and have researched into it. In the past it didn't use to be a problem with insurers but now with most insurers you have to be 25, which is unfortunate for me as im 22.

i thought i was covered third party on other cars as well !

and in a passing comment i asked the insurer, who said i wasnt !!! and it isnt standard !!! so i'd check !

Have you tried Norwich Union Direct? I used to work for them, and this was part of the standard cover for policy holders of any age. I trust you are getting quotes in your own name, and not in your parents' names with you as a named driver? As far as I know, nobody offers thatkind of cover.

In fairness the cover is just about useless though. For example, if you borrow my car and drive it on your own third-party ectension, you're legal while you're actually driving. As soon as you leave my car parked on a road, there in so cover on it (even if it is insured by me) in case the care is stolen, vandalised, or runs down a hill and hits someone.

Basically it's just not worth it.

hmm, a quick google suggests this is true. i wonder when that happened...

luckily a) i dont have a car any more and b) i'm over 25 :)

It is indeed my own policy. I have tried Norwich Union direct and you are right they do offer it, problem is that it costs £1800, which is a lot considering my renewal is around £500!

I see what you are saying about the problems with this kind of cover, but it does come in handy if you want to share the driving with someone on a long trip.

Originally posted by Kristian

Have you tried Norwich Union Direct? I used to work for them, and this was part of the standard cover for policy holders of any age. I trust you are getting quotes in your own name, and not in your parents' names with you as a named driver? As far as I know, nobody offers thatkind of cover.

In fairness the cover is just about useless though. For example, if you borrow my car and drive it on your own third-party ectension, you're legal while you're actually driving. As soon as you leave my car parked on a road, there in so cover on it (even if it is insured by me) in case the care is stolen, vandalised, or runs down a hill and hits someone.

Basically it's just not worth it.

ignore the man. don't insure with the spawn of satan!!!:D

tbh Kristian we tended to ignore that it general in claims. And if you don't tell anyone when you claim who is to know :D

you tried Churchills?