Games development course

I was just wandering if there was anyone here who is currently, or has don, the course on Games development at Hallam. I am in my second year at college and am currently considering doing this course, if I get accepted. I was wandering if someone could tell me what the course is like and any tips for getting ibnto the Uni. also, any programmers, can you please give me some advice as i am currently trying to learn C++ but would be very much abliged for any help anybody could offer.

Bit confused, you mean the Games Programming module on the 2nd year of most of the computing routes at Hallam? Maybe they do a full course on it now? but they didnt when I started... the guy that teached me was great, I did that last year, it was quite interesting, I enjoyed it quite a lot and got a good mark in it :)

The module is all C++ and DirectX, well apart from a couple of lessons on the basics of 3D Studio Max...

My tips for learning C++ is make sure you get a good grasp of OOP (Object Orientated Programming), it can be a powerful tool and will hold you in good stead with a lot of newish similar languages like C# and Java :)

There is now a course at Sheffield Hallam which is all about creating computer games and it is powered by sony. It is called, Software Development (Games).

From what you have said about the course, or at least what you have done on it, it sounds great. How long have you been in Uni anyway?

I'm currently on my 3rd year, which is a placement year, so I'm currently working full time :(

I'll tell you now if you dislike maths, dont do the course, if you dislike physics, dont do it... if you want to model objects in 3D and can't think logically in 3D dimensional planning then don't do it...

if its an entire degree in it then i promise you if you don't like or cant do any of them then it'll drive you nuts... a lot of non maths/physics background people took the module and found a lot of the concepts difficult to comprehend

Here's a link to some sample tutorials for you get started on:

http://www.andypike.com/tutorials/directx8/

they came in handy for me last year, although its directX 8 a lot of it carry's forward ok to directX 9 :)

if you want to chat or anything my msn is xafier_vampire_prince (at) hotmail.com :)

I have a fair few more links on my PC but I wont list them all here

I think that maths is great and I liked physics at GCSE when we were doing all about forces and things like that but have never done it at A level. I do maths A level and amn in my second year at the moment. I enjoy the subject. I would also say that I am OK at visualisizing in 3D although I am not sure what you are talking about. I have spokent to someone who does the job and am even more keen to do it. He was telling me that there are the movements or the character which involve a lot of physics and then there is the enviroment. I have not yet done any advanced programming but I have started an AS in computing so I am hoping that that would help.

And thank you for all of the advice you have given me. I know that this may be nosey but where exactly is you placement? I will PM you.

Originally posted by Neriek

I would also say that I am OK at visualisizing in 3D although I am not sure what you are talking about. I have spokent to someone who does the job and am even more keen to do it. He was telling me that there are the movements or the character which involve a lot of physics and then there is the enviroment. I have not yet done any advanced programming but I have started an AS in computing so I am hoping that that would help.

And thank you for all of the advice you have given me. I know that this may be nosey but where exactly is you placement? I will PM you.

visualiasing 3D means being able to think of an object and realise how it would be constructed, generally when it comes to objects in 3D, such as people they are constructed of various sections, legs, arms, head, body etc... you have to take a lot of things into consideration when it comes to 3D, you also have things like "normals" that you need to understand, although the principal isn't that difficult to grasp but getting it wrong can lead to some nasty effects

Physics is one of the major parts of games development, especially now with computers being as powerful as they are, we now have the power at our fingertips to calculate physics at very accurate levels in games... look at Half Life 2 for example or Gran Turismo 4, they are prime examples of great physics...

Your main principles of Physics to understand are affects of gravity, friction etc on the objects in your game...

having spoke to someone in the games industry your still wanting to do a course in games programming? thats interesting because most of the people I know that are or have been in the industry wouldn't generally reccomend it as a career to anyone who isn't extremly good at programming and 3D as its a very hard industry to get into these days, and its not all that well paid either unless you land an amazing job and your very very good

currently I'm working for company called Interlink Software in Wilmslow, Cheshire... its pretty much all C# programming, the two projects I've worked on so far have been graphical components for their latest product...

my msn address is in my post above if you want to chat, but during the day I'll probably be busy working so can't talk that much

Kris

If you're wanting to do this course to get into the games industry itself, I would recommend applying for one of the games development degrees at the Univerity of Abertay Dundee website.

I didn't go (mainly because several of the people on my college course were going and I didn't want to go there with them), I did one at a different university and it was pants.

I now know that Abertay is by far the best university when it comes to games degrees, and have the best links with the industry for when it comes to final year projects, placement years and getting a job at the end.

Would recommend taking a look at it if you're serious about wanting to get into games.

Hope this helps. :cool:

I would love to be able to go anywhere but I do not think that it would be possible financially. I thought that the course at sheffield was good and that is the one I would like to go to because it is the most suitable. I think that I have seen that course somewhere before but it is too far to travel

theres a guy on here called Jamie who designs things for gameboy advanced i think it is... games, add-ons and such...

he pops his head up occasionally so may see this.

(this is 2nd time ive recommended him for advice in a thread!....i should get commission)

Originally posted by MTheo

theres a guy on here called Jamie who designs things for gameboy advanced i think it is... games, add-ons and such...

he pops his head up occasionally so may see this.

(this is 2nd time ive recommended him for advice in a thread!....i should get commission)

Give you that fiver later MTHeo ...