13 year old kid mugged at Meadowhall

security - who requested my nephew and friends split into smaller groups so as to disperse everyone.

It absolutely amazes me that the security person recommended this, that the 'innocent' party split up and make themselves easier to target individually. Why not split the group who were following the young lads?

It absolutely amazes me that the security person recommended this, that the 'innocent' party split up and make themselves easier to target individually. Why not split the group who were following the young lads?

Because they were scared too? Sad, I know .. but it's probably right.

Nothing changes. I'm 29, and the same thing used to happen at Meadowhall when I was in my teens. It happened to me a couple of times, when I was at school we used to call it "getting taxed", basically mugged. Once I managed to ignore them, carried on walking, they harrased me a bit but I kept moving and they gave up, possibly because there was only one of them. Another time there was a couple of them, I got chased back into the terminal where I alerted security.

have you always lived in wincobank ?

I work in MHall and they reckon its their policy to split large groups of kids up.

In fact my 12 year old son was once there with about 7 of his friends (roughly half of them girls) and they were asked to split into smaller groups so they didnt appear 'intimidating'! :roll:

I regularly see large groups of Asian lads tho and have never seen anything said to them.

I work in MHall and they reckon its their policy to split large groups of kids up.

In fact my 12 year old son was once there with about 7 of his friends (roughly half of them girls) and they were asked to split into smaller groups so they didnt appear 'intimidating'! :roll:

I regularly see large groups of Asian lads tho and have never seen anything said to them.

Probably terrified of being accused of being racist!

You’ve got it but shhhhh ……….. Can’t say that can we.

Or maybe they just find it easier telling the younger ones what to do?

Surely MHall should consider extending the security so that the areas these incidents are happening in are covered?

Edited by nikki-red

... and unfortunately if there was a tussle, you can bet one of the "lad's" will sue the security for damages if any injury occurs.

Might be worth going to Star about it? As then Meadowhall might clamp down on these gangs because of the bad publicity?

Excellent idea, I totally agree that this has to be the way to go now. It's a shame that it's come to this, hasn't it? I remember a couple of months ago, they were getting clampers in to target 'rogue' parkers! Seems like they only go for the soft targets!

With a problem of these proportions, Meadowhall should have acted before now.

Last time I went, I saw a little toddler, wander out of poundland (it happens!), his parents quickly and anxiously followed behind. I was going over to the vicinity, when two or three youths, almost walked in to the boy, gave him a mouthful of verbal and racist abuse, including expletives, and walked off. I looked in the vicinity to find a member of security to report this, but nothing. In a place like Meadowhall, there should be a presence of security, for times like this.

I am very saddened to read the posts on this thread, but can't say I'm surprised.

have you always lived in wincobank ?

Pretty much. The idiots (muggers) at Meadowhall sometimes hang around the bottom of the steps where the path goes up to Tyler Street, waiting for anybody walking up that path on their own.

god you cant go anywhere these days without being safe

Am so sorry to hear about your son though Paul. I hope it's not going to have any lasting effects but I've no doubt he's going to be pretty scared for a while.