Freshers - Not So Fresh

In a morning the last thing that I want is to be in my work shoes slipping on sick!!!!!! This is not "student bashing" as I am not talking about the older students, I realise that it an exciting time in their first year of Uni but a thought should be spared for the public that have to use the walkways in the mornings!

Threads merged. Please check for current threads on the same topic before starting a new one.

Like it or not the Sheffield of old is gone, with a few exceptions the industry that financed the city is gone for good, students are Sheffields new "industry".

They may cause piles of vomit and kebab boxes on West Street, but thats far easier to clean up and less damaging long term than the Rother and the Don running all the colours of the rainbow and clouds of smog hanging over foundries and forges.

If the universities shut for good tomorrow and all the students left the knock-on effect for the city would be financially devastating.

Awww .. I feel for you guys living so near to the noise, but I for one, would LOVE to be on the edge of this exciting new world they are entering.

Massive debt and minimal job prospects?

One in three call centre workers is a graduate

Student debt 'to reach £25,000' for 2010 intake

Graduates fearful about job prospects

I love students, especially the Southern ones. When they walk round like they own the place and walk into a rough boozer.... Class.

On the whole they're nice people who love to talk to the locals and get along with them well. Sheffield would be crap without students!

I love students, especially the Southern ones. When they walk round like they own the place and walk into a rough boozer.... Class.

On the whole they're nice people who love to talk to the locals and get along with them well. Sheffield would be crap without students!

Had to laugh the other day when I heard a couple of very posh sounding new students stating that WE, yes WE have funny accents!

The studnets might make a mess and make lots of noise but thats no different to ANY other big city. If you go down town during the week or go in any student bars you'll not really see any trouble and everyone will be friendly, if you go out on a friday / saturday night it will be full of chavy dicks who think they are going to impress the ladies and look well cool by staring at everyone and starting fights.

Also its a load of crap about "the government having to pay for students to get drunk and be noisy" yes students get loans but they have to pay them back once they have their degree and get a job which will more than likely benefit the community,

It's nice to see most of the posts on here are in favour of the students and don't take the 'tax dodging scrubbers' attitude! Freshers Week is a great opportunity for many students who have just moved to Sheffield in the last few days/weeks to get to know the city and other people and have fun! Most will calm down when the workload hits them :-)

As for littering, I cannot stand it and think it's disgusting. The sad thing is it's not only students who litter!

Had to laugh the other day when I heard a couple of very posh sounding new students stating that WE, yes WE have funny accents!

I was a fresher down in Essex and I had that all the time when I was a fresher. I soon got myself a reputation as the resident northern oik!

one hallam fresher to another:

"I wonder when sheffield universities sports fair is"

"Yes, I mean we all live in the same town so there shouldn't be a problem"

o dear, o dear. o dear. Going into 'enemy camp' and they haven't even started yet...

Bloody hell it's the invasion week again and they are worse than ever. All dressed like poisoned smurfs, and the lasses smell like they fell over in boots bless em, mums walking them to halls with a trolley full of pasta and pesto.

tried to watch Footy in Broom Hill but couldn't hear myself think for the crowd of southern noise following man u supping pound pints of stale lager

I guess it's good for the shops on Ecclesall though, and some of them are sound I'm sure they wont steal my wheelie bin every week. Feel like an old man and I'm only 22!;)

Whats 'smell like they fell over in boots' mean?

Also I don't mind them! It is funny to watch them on the tram not pressing the button to get on/off or pay £1.40 to go spitting distance without realising.

Whats 'smell like they fell over in boots' mean?

Also I don't mind them! It is funny to watch them on the tram not pressing the button to get on/off or pay £1.40 to go spitting distance without realising.

Oh hang on...you mean Boots the shop...got that as I posted!