Freshers - Not So Fresh

Vitriol, yes. Let me remind you of the original post:

A point of view to be found on a number of other threads.

You might also want to be reminded of the kind of disreputable businesses that capitalise on the youth drinking culture - you might not want to apologise for them:

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/culture_2_5660/more_student_carnage_on_streets_despite_outrage_1_457179

All the drinks offers all up West Street and around campus don't help with the problem of student bingeing.

It needs pointing out that the majority of students do Sheffield a great service - I prefer the city when it's thriving, rather than being the ghost-town it becomes over summer.

If you class that as "vitriol", you've led a very sheltered life.

I wasn't apologising for pubs/clubs - I was merely pointing out the bleedin' obvious - students drink from choice, nobody makes them. The special offers on booze are available to everybody, but not everybody seizes the opportunity to get totally legless and behave obnoxiously.

I quite agree with you about the majority of students - but that doesn't mean the minority don't deserve criticism when they behave like pillocks.

Sheffield's economy would be a lot worse without them. I like having them around even though they make me feel old!

It has to be said, the city went incredibly quiet over summer without them. When I was looking for jobs in summer 2009 many places weren't taking anyone on until September, leading me to feel that Sheffield's economy would be in trouble if there were no students.

Not sure I like them (and I am a former student), but the city does feel a bit more vibrant again now.

Freshers. ?

So we've adopted yet another americanism. :rant:

We're getting ourselves into a reet 51st state.

Sheffield's economy would be a lot worse without them. I like having them around even though they make me feel old!

The country's economy would do a lot worse without them. Without students, where would you get your doctors, dentists, accountants, lawyers, teachers, surveyors, nurses, vets, librarians, opticians, social workers, chemists, engineers.... ?

Sheffield would die without the students- so they are a little noisey and messy but everyone is at that age- especially as its there first taste of 'freedom' from there parents.

The people who complain about it are usually the people who have forgotten what its like to be that young and to have fun.

got to agree scottf nice to see the bars full again

Freshers. ?

So we've adopted yet another americanism. :rant:

We're getting ourselves into a reet 51st state.

Amazing that you could twist a commonly-used word for Intro Week to make a point about a dystopian future!

Glad to see plenty of posters supporting the new students, and hope a few of them read this thread at some point to see that the OP has the minority opinion.

Welcome to the friendliest biggest village in the UK!

The use of the term 'Freshers' has been about at least since I was one, in 1980! Not new and not an americanism as far as I know.

Great to see them here although I did nearly run over one who forgot to look both ways when crossing Ecclesall Road the other day!

I'm not surprised by the student bashing, as most people here seem to like complaining about anything and everything (and then claim that we as a city are the friendliest in the country!).

That's Sheffield Forum for you. Personally I like students anyway, plus I have verry happy memories of when I was a fresher myself!

I think they are great! I love working for them. They are young intelligent and brilliant for the city. I think Sheffield is a better place for them. Yes they can get rowdy etc but they are a good bunch. I cant fault em. I LOVE THE STUDENTS!!!