Freshers - Not So Fresh

As certain as leaves falling off trees - the students are back and the wheelie bins get tipped over (Ecclesall Rd this morning). It only takes a few to prejudice opinion against them all

Students are part of Sheffield culture and make the city buzz.

A point of caution......

My car, parked on Broomgrove Road, has had a quiet, peaceful summer - last week the wing mirror was ripped off overnight (£105!!).

The next morning I had a bag of garden rubbish sitting on the car roof - I did laugh at this innocent prank.

The sign outside our gate disappeared overnight (£55 to replace) - but we saw the funny side and had a little chuckle.

Would I be classed as cynical if I thought these japes coincided with the return of the young intelligentsia?

I went to jessops the other week and i saw the hundreds of students. It was great to see it was vibrant and lively. Not only do the boost sheffields economy but bring life to the city. I know they come with some negatives but unfortunately doesn't everything. It actually made me proud to live in such a student friendly city.

There are always one or two cretins who spoil it for everyone, whether it's students, locals, football fans or whatever. Businesses keep going on their money, and a lot of them stay. It doesn't cost the council all that much to support an extra 50,000 people, given that most of them won't need housing, council tax rebates or whatever. Overall, it's a plus thing.

But they do look young now, don't they!

I think its ridiculous there are smashed bottles, leftover takeaway food and sick all over the streets!!! And the other morning there was curry smeared up a shops window - it has got to be students, all this chaos has only happened within a week!!!

tried to watch Footy in Broom Hill but couldn't hear myself think for the crowd of southern noise following man u supping pound pints of stale lager

At least most students know how to spell Broomhill.

At least most students know how to spell Broomhill.

Excuse me Babooshka, are you a student by any chance?

Yes, a postgraduate student of three weeks....and also an employee of 13 years, for one of Britain's largest companies, and a mother. You?

Edited by Babooshka

Would I be classed as cynical if I thought these japes coincided with the return of the young intelligentsia?

freshers week- the only week of the year you'll find human poo on a car bumper.

Yes, a postgraduate student of three weeks....and also an employee of 13 years, for one of Britain's largest companies, and a mother. You?

I work full time. I am 23 and I went to university and never ever littered, threw up on the streets, smeared curry sauce on shop windows are smashed bottles!!!

Whats 'smell like they fell over in boots' mean?

Also I don't mind them! It is funny to watch them on the tram not pressing the button to get on/off or pay £1.40 to go spitting distance without realising.

I think it means that they smell very strongly of perfume.