Help with mobile unlock code please

Hoping someone on here can help me out..i have been given a brand new samsung mobile phone (GT-E1150) that is on T MOBILE and i want to unlock it so i can use my Tesco Sim card. I know it is only a cheap phone but i am a full time carer and have very little if any spare cash :(..so. I have used an online service for getting the code to unlock it but i can't input the code? i.e the code sent is something like *#6995*777# it will take the numbers but not the asterix or the hash..am i doing something wrong or have i just wasted £3 getting the code?

not sure i unlocked my nokia online for free,

code looks ok

star,hash numbers,star,numbers hash

you can't actually input the star's and the hash's...When i turn on the phone a box comes up that says 'network lock' when you put in the star nothing happens and when you put in the hash it assumes you have finished and says code too short?

take the SIM out, let the phone boot up normally and then input it.

take the SIM out, let the phone boot up normally and then input it.

just tried this..doing this way i can input the code but the next part of the instructions say press exit (see below)

'Put in the non-accepted Simcard you wish to use and and turn it on.

Type this code *#9998*3323#

In some newer models you may have to use this code instead #*7337#

Press Exit. You will get a new menu.

Select Malloc Fail.

The phone will reboot and ask for your PIN if you have one setup already.

Your phone will now be unlocked and will operate with your new sim card.'

i am assuming that exit is via the options menu? if so when i press the exit option then it exits!! there is no new menu as suggested in the instructions.

By the way i have emailed the code provider, they have not offered a solution but are giving me a refund so :)