Help buying sat nav

what is the best value for money sat nav to buy,as am thinking of buying one.also the best place to buy one.thanks

Tom Toms lie. They LIE!!!

They'll get you lost.

I bought a Garmin one.

We had a problem on a visit to Wales as no Welsh post codes were recognised although the map and points of interest were ok

nuvi 205 series according to leaflet

Edited by Thorpist

I would say TomTom One. Good value and ideal as first Sat Nav. Easy to use and update. Never had any probs with mine. As with all Sat Navs, remember to use in conjuction with common sense.

:mad:I got a Tom Tom and its reyt weird, takes me down the longest most complicated routes before telling me to make a u turn and getting me completely bloody lost....

Hatred thing :mad:

In fact dont bother buying one you can have mine complete with downloaded ozzy osbourne swearing :D

Buy an AA atlas at any garage sight cheaper than a sat-nav and any mistakes are your own.

Unless it's your wife reading it:wink::wink:

On the way back to the channel tunnel from SW France a sat nav directed our driver (against my advice) along the perapherique in Paris.

One long traffic jam!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by davyboy

I bought a Navman satnav unit 3 years ago and it's been (and still is) brilliant! Never let me down once or taken me where it shouldn't.

Sat Navs...waste of money, the last time I needed to get somewhere, I looked on Google maps, and then popped in to service stations on the way to update my map knowledge... cheaper than spending £100 + on a Sat Nav :)

I swear by my Tomtom.....sometimes at it, lol.

I can't comment on the best, but I guess they are all much of a muchness, so to speak.

It depends what you are doing.

If I just want to get from A to B I use the tomtom without question.

If towing the caravan, I use a map in conjunction to check the route for narrow roads etc.

It's common sense really.

I swear by my Tomtom.....sometimes at it, lol.

I can't comment on the best, but I guess they are all much of a muchness, so to speak.

It depends what you are doing.

If I just want to get from A to B I use the tomtom without question.

If towing the caravan, I use a map in conjunction to check the route for narrow roads etc.

It's common sense really.

Some Satnavs now (Garmin more specifically) have a setting called proximity points, where you can enter some details of what you're towing, caravan, trailer, etc... and it will try it's best to take you along the route with no narrow roads, low bridges, etc... to be used as a rough guide, it seems people these days are following them word for word, and not just guides.