Garage extension

Hi,

I live in a Semi detached house with a free standing garage at the rear.

I would like to knock this garage down (as it is very old) and replace it with a larger one (bigger in width not height).

Do I need planning permission to do this? If yes, what's the first step, should I instruct a solicitor to request permission?

Also, does anybody know a reputable company who could do this work?

(however I am not planning on starting this work until next July)

Thank you

hi id be happy to quote you for this work, depending on size/location odds are you will need planning permission so prob speaking to a architect will be your best bet thanks

Hi,

I live in a Semi detached house with a free standing garage at the rear.

I would like to knock this garage down (as it is very old) and replace it with a larger one (bigger in width not height).

Do I need planning permission to do this? If yes, what's the first step, should I instruct a solicitor to request permission?

Also, does anybody know a reputable company who could do this work?

(however I am not planning on starting this work until next July)

Thank you

here you go

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

hi i can quote you for this work, i have access to reliable and quality people in other trades, bricklayers, plasterers etc. my number is 07772424071 if ya interested

If your having one of the concret one (put up in pieces) make sure its 1 yard away from your boundry & you dont need permission. If you build one in house brick you do.

I can check if you require planning permission with the local authority and draw the plans if required.

call me on 0114 2488775

Architectural Plans - Extensions/New Builds/Conversions

If what you are considering is of the same height as you have suggested then you will almost certainly not require planning approval. However it is always worth having a quick conversation with the planning officer who deals with your area of Sheffield - if you call the planning department and explain what you are looking to do they will confirm this almost straight away. Note down their name and what they have said and you will be fine.

If they confirm thay you don't require planning then all you need is a reputable builder - seek a recommendation from someone you know who has had a good job done or look around for somthing recently built similar to what you want and simply knock on their door and ask who they used.

Without the need for planning you wont need an architect or a plans drawer - building regulations will be required but a builder will easily take care of this for you on an application known as a notice. With this type of application it is simply checked as it is built and you wont therefore have any requirement to pay for plans drawing.

Hope this helps. If you do indeed need planning or have further requirements send me an e-mail for a free quote.

Hi student 28 my name is john from jtb roofing and building ltd you will need some plans drawn up a can reccomend a good architect his name is mark ballantyne 07817943892

and then once you have the plans drawn up we would be more than happy to give you a quotation you can contact me on 07791326848

I would like to thank everybody for their advice / contact details. I will be in contact when I want to gather quotes.

However, one piece of advice. It seems their are two ways to go about building a new garage.

1) Literally have it built from scratch (brick by brick)

2) Or have someone lay a concrete base then buy one of those concrete garages that literally come in 5 pieces and takes a day to knock up.

Any suggestions on which way to go? Has anyone got experience in these concrete garages? http://www.hansonconcretegarages.co.uk/Hanson.garages?aW50UGFnZSUzRDk3JTI2UEhQU0VTU0lEJTNEOGRlYjhhNDBlNmViN2UzNmJiOWQyMDQxNzNhZDFhZWU=

Again I look forward to your advice.

In making your mind up you will have two things to consider - cost and aesthetic quality. Most people would probably feel a brick built, pitched roofed garage would look a lot nicer than a concrete pre-fabricated one however it will obviously cost more and the concrete one will be far quicker and easier to erect, although a brick one shouldn't cause any problems either really.

As mentioned previously depending on height both can be erected under permitted development so is really a question of what you want it to look like, what will go best with your house and its surround and how much you are happy to pay.

If you still want some Architectural input I would be happy to help but you shouldn't really need it and definately wont if you go for a concrete one. Hope this helps.