City Grammar School Leopold Street

I would be interested to know the identity of "bladebeer" as I was in the same year and, oddly enough, I was present when Brown attacked Leslie Hodge in the subterranean Geography room.

Please enlighten me!

I am Lawrence (Lol) Binney. I was not in the class when Ray attacked Hodge, but I believe that George Mitchell (now my brother in law was) .George is now in South Africa and a widower.Others in our class were Alan Shipman,Keith Cook,Neil Cooper,Cedric Norton and Derek Wilkinson.

Are there any ex students still around who started in Sept 1947. If so does anyone remember Ann Darwin or Joan Kilner?

Edited by 9farmboy9

The rousing school song keeps running through my head but I can't remember  all the words:

Semper discamus,

Ut manaiamus,

Nil nisi verum, nil nisi verum (pum, pum, pum!)

Sive docamur

Sive docamus

We tandigamus

Ut manaiamus

OMNES AMICI, OMNES AMIC!

The oak, the ash, the bonny ivy tree

Are known in story, famed in song.

But we who know thee certain are,

That search the woodlands near or far,

Ye ne'er will find

though seek ye long, a bush more worthy song or eulogy as Centre's holly, evergreen. (School formerly known as "Pupil Teacher's Centre")

When too we teach in after years

In stranger, wider circumstance, 

We'll find through all our hopes and fears

The name of "Centre" there perchance

As one may find, impressed in memory,

A holly leaf, an evergreen:

Latin chorus, twice!

Words by Mr. Goodfellow, music by Edward Taylor music teacher ("Bugs")!

Please correct my version and spelling: I did extra science instead of latin!

On 17/09/2010 at 05:10, Hazelmay said:

Anyone else on the forum who went to the City Grammar School in the late 50's to early 60's?

Mr. Harvard was the Headmaster, Mr. Parsons for Latin (tatty gown and shirts), Mr. Fuller for French (used to clang his metal leg against my desk on the front row), Mr. Hum (Buzz) for Chemistry and Mr. McPherson (quite dishy) for Physics, and good old Mr. Taylor for Maths (I think he used to doze off in class). Bring back any memories?

I wonder if any of my old friends are still around Sheffield - Linda Walker, Anne Nicholson & Leslie Donn spring to mind. I met up with Susan Webb on a recent visit to Sheffield from Canada, she hadn't changed a bit - well not much.

Parents in the forces, went there as the re-location to Stradbroke end of 1963.  Moved on in  1965, But remember David Betts, Mick Cousens, Pete  Goodyear, Frank Calvert, Alan Evans and many more during  my short tenure. A terrible thing to ask, but  how many are still around and how many are no longer with us?

Edited by CF8M
grammar