City Grammar School Leopold Street

Does anyone know what happened to Bob Fenn? went to City Grammar, a darnall lad good rugby player.

Hello Hazel. I am Graham Binks ( CGS ) 1955 to 1960. I married Angela Roe ( CGS 1956 to 1961). You may remember Angela - I think she was in your year. Sadly Angela died in 2004..

I was there from 1957 along with Susan Webb, Sylvia Harrison, Christine Dean, Elaine Morris, Jean Coulson etc

Anyone know Mick Twigg? He was there 1955-60.

We boys in the Tech., next door, were always trying to get a glimpse of the girls!

Likewise I am sure

Hello Hazelmay,

I went to CGS 1952-1957. i started off in Mrs Rignall's class and finished in Mr Johnson's class.I remember a lot of the teachers that you mentioned, some with happy memories, some not so happy!! It's good to be reminded of those days,which, for me, were mostly happy. I hope they were for you too. Mr McPherson, who did marry Betty Thorald, Mr Etchells, Hum, Callister, Parsons, headmasters, both Davies and Harvatt, etc etc!! Also female teachers, Miss Davy, Hutchinson, Foster etc etc!! Lovely to reminisce and although I haven't been on this site for a while, I will try and keep a look out in future for replies to your initial letter. With kind regards.

Anyone else on the forum who went to the City Grammar School in the late 50's to early 60's?

Mr. Harvard was the Headmaster, Mr. Parsons for Latin (tatty gown and shirts), Mr. Fuller for French (used to clang his metal leg against my desk on the front row), Mr. Hum (Buzz) for Chemistry and Mr. McPherson (quite dishy) for Physics, and good old Mr. Taylor for Maths (I think he used to doze off in class). Bring back any memories?

I wonder if any of my old friends are still around Sheffield - Linda Walker, Anne Nicholson & Leslie Donn spring to mind. I met up with Susan Webb on a recent visit to Sheffield from Canada, she hadn't changed a bit - well not much.

Can't remember Mr Fuller but Mr Brown did wear leg irons. Remember Miss Fisher, who wouldn't, and think she married one of the masters.

I was there from 1951,my first teacher was Miss Foster(Fef).She looked ancient then.The one who scared me to death was Miss Johnson who made me form captain and then blamed me for everything that went wrong in class. She had a wart on her top lip that made her look like a witch.Mr Walker was my last teacher, but I recall Mr McMahon,Mrs Davy,Mr Etchells,Mr Parsons etc. I once had the cane off the head Mr. Davis .My best mate was Ray Brown who once thumped Mr Hodge I believe.

I started 1962 and can remember Amy, always used to shout " don't call me Miss, my name is Miss Johnson". Taught by Walker ( Buzz ), Mrs Davy ( Ma Gravy ) and Boots Parsons. Once caught by Pete Ward and Mick Fletcher on the Kop at the Lane when I was supposed to be off sick. Hurriedly hid my face with my scarf, problem was it being a CGS scarf.

In the early '60s the premises of the old CGS on Leopold St, which were vacant as the school had moved to Stradbroke Rd, were used by Sheffield university students to store copies of the Twikker, the off-colour rag week magazine. I used to pick them up from there and then stand outside Walsh's shouting "Come buy your Twikker."

I would be interested to know the identity of "bladebeer" as I was in the same year and, oddly enough, I was present when Brown attacked Leslie Hodge in the subterranean Geography room.

Please enlighten me!