Help needed - car diagnostics (Toyota Avensis)

we have a toyota avensis 2.0 petrol and engine malfunction light has appeared on , firstly no trouble with car but now when driving at around 40 mph + there is a whirring noise but don't know what it is.

Is the noise related to engine speed or road speed? Put the car in neutral and rev the engine- does it still whirr?

If the light is on it will need to have the codes read on a diagnostic machine. best take it to a garage rather then guessing.

its when i accelerate its not automatic, i thought at first it was just the road i go on but since going on a different road its the same as faster i go it gets louder

the light came on once before and we had a diagnostic and the fault code was p0420 cat system efficiency below threshold bank 2

but that wouldn't make the engine light come on so would still need code reading.

could be a totally different fualt this time, the light is just telling you there is a problem but without having it diagnosed you mat end up spending money on something that doesn't cure it.

can u recommend a garage please

can u recommend a garage please

Paul Craig Tuning Effingham Rd Staniforth rd end