Edley and Beckerton families

I am searching for information about the Edley and Beckerton families. My great-grandfather Frederick George Beckerton lived on Dykes Hall Rd with his wife Ada. They brought up my mum Elsie Edley. Elsie was born in 1922 and had 2 brothers, Ken and Herbert. There was an Edleys sweet shop in the same road but I don't know if there is a family connection. My grandfather Herbert Edley senior was, I believe, a publican. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Jenny, Fredric George Beckerton was my Grand Father (George Frederic Beckerton was my Father)and I do have some information, though not as much possibly as my brother who is older and between us I am sure we could fill in quite a few gaps in your history.

Fred is also quite well documented elsewhere as he was a police inspector working with the first "flying squad" set up to suppress the illegal gambling syndicates that prevailed in 1920's in Sheffield.

My email address is ianbeckertonmail@virginmedia.com

Kindest regards,

I..

Ian Beckerton

Hello. I'm currently working on the history of the Edley family, and may be able to help. If you are still keen to find out more, please let me know; I'll do what I can! Best regards, Mark Edley.

Hello. I'm currently working on the history of the Edley family, and may be able to help. If you are still keen to find out more, please let me know; I'll do what I can! Best regards, Mark Edley.

Hi there Mark, i used to go to school [Prince Edwards] with a lad called Cliff Edley ,I later worked with him Bricklaying on the Hyde Park Flats any relation?.

...There was an Edleys sweet shop in the same road but I don't know if there is a family connection....
Edley's sweet shop was at No 63 Middlewood Road, just round the corner from Dykes Hall Road. It was in the name of "O. & N. Edley". I remember Mr Edley well and he must have been Oswald Edley (I researched this some years ago and still have my notes). He sold the business in c. 1975 to a Mr Louis Colletta. I found birth/death entries for "Oswald George H. Edley", born Sheffield 22 December 1910, died Dartford, Kent, Oct-Dec 1979, and a marriage entry to Nora Pigott in Sheffield in 1939. A Nora Edley, born 6 February 1916, died in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1978.

Hi. I'm new to this site, just stumbled on it! Oswald Edley, or Ossie to his friends was my father and did own the sweet shop in Hillsborough. I worked there as a Saturday girl, but believe me there were no privileges being family. He ran the shop like a well oiled machine, and was meticulous in his cleaning - all glass jars had to polished and refilled so that every jar in the shop was ALWAYS full and enticing. Busy periods were of course Xmas, Easter, and Mother's Day and he would often have a queue out of the door. Happy days.

Hello hillsbro.

Thanks very much for this - it's been a while since I've been able to spend any time on this, so I apologise for the delay in replying.

With such unusual names, it shouldn't take long to figure out how Oswald fitted into the rest of my family tree; I'll post more, whenj I have a better idea of this.

Once again, thanks for your help, and best regards.

Hi. Let me know if you want anymore info re Oswald. Would love to learn more about the family.

Hi Mark-Edley and Pattyl - i quite enjoy doing family history research and would be happy to draw up some sort of family tree if you'd like this and haven't already done the work. If you PM me the information you have to start with I'll do the rest.