BBC who needs them

Quite. It's funny that people think non-subscription commercial tv is free - as if the money to pay for it somehow comes out of thin air!

Now you put it like that companies must spend millions on ads for these sky type channels, with the aim to sell more of their products so to them its worth it, but to us who has that cost passed back onto us have to then pay for it twice by suffering all the damn commercials that only benefit them !

Thanks, I never really thought about how good and value for money the BBC actually is until this topic and your post came up.

The BBC TV Licence is a tax.

In January 2006 the Office of National Statistics re-classified the TV licence fee as a tax. Previously, this payment had been classified in the National Accounts as a service charge. Explaining the change the Office of National Statistics (ONS) said "in line with the definition of a tax, the licence fee is a compulsory payment..."

Like I said as taxes go its one well worth it it would seem.

I have no problem with the salaries. The quality speaks for itself so they must be doing something right.

You are completely out of touch with the British public, who greatly object to to the salaries paid to many BBC employees such as Jonathan Ross (the quality speaks for itself!).

You really have no problem with a salary of £6 million per year paid out of the incomes of pensioners and the poor going to Dross? How very BBC!

People on very low incomes have to purchase two in a single year. They pay for their first licence in six months, then pay for the following year.

How very BBC. It cares nothing for the British poor. Loves the overseas poor.

Yep, if the argument is not going well... lets point the finger at the foreigners :hihi:

That usually works :P

You are completely out of touch with the British public ...

I think you'll find that the British public are very glad to have the BBC.

People on very low incomes have to purchase two in a single year. They pay for their first licence in six months, then pay for the following year.

I stand corrected.

I was under the impression Children in Need is specifically for UK institutions?

You have a morbid interest in TV, it cannot be healthy.

Now turn your attention to the worlds biggest chocolate bar.

What do you think about that?

Milk or Plain? :hihi:

You are completely out of touch with the British public

Some of them inevitably, not all.

who greatly object to to the salaries paid to many BBC employees such as Jonathan Ross (the quality speaks for itself!).

It's what it is to be British. We whine ;) You don't hear these sorts of comlaints anywhere else. If we really could do better we'd all apply.

You really have no problem with a salary of £6 million per year paid out of the incomes of pensioners and the poor going to Dross?

I don't object to it anymore than I object to paying for a fire service while my house isn't on fire, or for a health service when I'm not ill.

The dross is on the commercial channels ;)

How very BBC!

I guess that's not flattery ;)

I don't object to it anymore than I object to paying for a fire service while my house isn't on fire, or for a health service when I'm not ill.

Comparing the BBC, a producer of low grade entertainment, to the essential services such as fire or the NHS, is simply wrong. Its sick to compare the maker of 'Strictly Come Dancing' and 'Homes Under The Hammer' to services that save lives every day.

The BBC already broadcasts adverts. Dozens of them. At the end of every programme on all its radio and TV stations, the BEEB runs ads for other programmes coming up later. These are just as intrusive and irritating as commercials for soap powder and generate absolutely no revenue.

Comparing the BBC, a producer of low grade entertainment, to the essential services such as fire or the NHS, is simply wrong. Its sick to compare the maker of 'Strictly Come Dancing' and 'Homes Under The Hammer' to services that save lives every day.

I can, and I do. I don't believe it's low grade entertainment and I don't object to paying for it anymore than I do any other public service.

The BBC already broadcasts adverts. Dozens of them. At the end of every programme on all its radio and TV stations, the BEEB runs ads for other programmes coming up later. These are just as intrusive and irritating as commercials for soap powder and generate absolutely no revenue.

They don't interrupt the actual program though, and since we're all paying for them it stands to reason they'd want to reach the widest possible audience. That is their purpose, afterall.

Edited by Magilla

So the BBC lets listeners and viewers know what's on later, thus keeping them tuned away from the soap powder advertisers. Galling, isn't it?