BBC who needs them

What type of person is comfortable working for an employer that assumes that all of its non-customers are criminals - without any evidence at all? An organisation that causes severe anguish and upset through the use of threats, harassment and intimidation techniques against the innocent?

What sort of individual would be happy to work for an employer that routinely treats its non-customers as having something to hide, and sends hired thugs to visit them under the threat of fines, a criminal record and imprisonment?

Answer: People who are employed by the BBC, in any capacity. They don't have any concerns at all about their employer demanding money with menaces from vulnerable and disadvantaged people. Sickening.

Ok so think of it as a tax, but its one that gives value for money unlike a lot of the stuff we have to folk out for.

You want to get on your high horse ? look at the fuel duty, fuel is far far higher now than when there were blockades.

I feel like paying for your tv licence myself just so you'll go away.

What type of person is comfortable working for an employer that assumes that all of its non-customers are criminals - without any evidence at all? An organisation that causes severe anguish and upset through the use of threats, harassment and intimidation techniques against the innocent?

What sort of individual would be happy to work for an employer that routinely treats its non-customers as having something to hide, and sends hired thugs to visit them under the threat of fines, a criminal record and imprisonment?

Answer: People who are employed by the BBC, in any capacity. They don't have any concerns at all about their employer demanding money with menaces from vulnerable and disadvantaged people. Sickening.

A word of advice here.

As Dennis Healy once said 'When you are in a Hole, stop digging' :hihi:

BTW, welcome to the jolly world of SF :D

I'm not quite certain why some posters are comparing the BBC to SKY?

The BBC TV licence is compulsory for every household, if you watch 'live' television. Except, that is, for people such as Mark Thompson, the BBC Director General (salary £834,000 per annum) who gets it paid by the licence fee payer, as well as a full subscription to Sky.

SKY is entirely voluntary. When I visit the newsagents they don't aggressively inform me that in order to purchase The Daily Telegraph I must also buy The Guardian - which I do not read.

Also, when you say 'mainly football' - can you tell me 5 great things that have happened as a result of Sky putting money in to sport? Or three? One then. We'll start with 1 benefit of Sky putting money in to sport ...

Wayne Rooney has more money to spend on hookers?

I'm not quite certain why some posters are comparing the BBC to SKY?

Me neither - it would be like comparing chocolate to the contents of a toilet.

i use the bbc as my main news portal, and we have 6music on all day in the office everyday, so no complaints here

If the BBC permitted its customers to pay 39p each day that they watched television, instead of insisting (upon threat of court, fine and criminal record) that they pay the full amount in one go

As I understand it, you don't have to pay it in one go.

You can't only pay for when and what you watch, that would be completely pointless. There are many programes I don't enjoy and don't watch, but I am happy to subsidize them for the programs I do enjoy. All public service works in this fashion, it's a system I agree with.

just so that BBC 'talent' and its management can live their lives in sheer luxury, during a time of economic hardship, it might not hurt so many people on low incomes so badly.

Mark Thompson, BBC Director General, is paid £834,000 per year. His salary is nothing compared to what the luvvies are paid.

I have no problem with the salaries. The quality speaks for itself so they must be doing something right.

We have a situation where the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people in society are forced to pay the super rich to watch television.

I don't see things that way. It's no different to any service that we all pay for. At least with this one you can opt out and not pay if you wish.

Disgusting.

If you say so, but for me the journey to work and back listening to the radio is well worth the 39p, before I even get to some of the fantastic programs I've seen on BBC4 recently.

Edited by Magilla

Who do you think pays for non subscription commercial TV?

I wonder what proportion of the prices of the goods and services I buy is used to pay for advertising. And I wonder if I could have all the advertising costs for channels and programmes I never watch rebated, how much would it be?

I'd rather save the money on my shopping and put it towards my license fee than vice versa.

Quite. It's funny that people think non-subscription commercial tv is free - as if the money to pay for it somehow comes out of thin air!

Ok so think of it as a tax,

The BBC TV Licence is a tax.

In January 2006 the Office of National Statistics re-classified the TV licence fee as a tax. Previously, this payment had been classified in the National Accounts as a service charge. Explaining the change the Office of National Statistics (ONS) said "in line with the definition of a tax, the licence fee is a compulsory payment..."

... the Office of National Statistics (ONS) said "in line with the definition of a tax, the licence fee is a compulsory payment..."

Yes, it is. So?

As I understand it, you don't have to pay it in one go.

People on very low incomes have to purchase two in a single year. They pay for their first licence in six months, then pay for the following year.

How very BBC. It cares nothing for the British poor. Loves the overseas poor.

Now Christine Bleakley has transferred to ITV i feel no need for the bbc to carry on.

Only kidding, the BBC do air some quality media at times, whether the money is spent in the right areas is questionable, when judging it against the fee we pay for 12 months