BBC who needs them

Hopefully the BBC strike will prove that the world will go on without the taxpayer having to pay for a none commercial TV.

Hopefully the BBC strike will prove that the world will go on without the taxpayer having to pay for a none commercial TV.

Who do you think pays for non subscription commercial TV?

Couldn't disagree more. For 39p a day I easily get my monies worth, and the BBC sets the standard that other broadcasters can only aspire to.

Long may it continue.

The BBC is funded by everyone with a TV licence. Many of these won't be taxpayers.

I agree with you presumed general sentiment that the quality of TV is appallingly low these days, but the BBC is at least the best on offer. Occasionally it will peek out from beneath the sea of effleunt that is everyone else's output. But then they do keep doing new series' of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

Poor quality TV is a by-product of lots of channels. No single channel gets enough viewers to be able to afford to actually make a decent programme, so they all just show rubbish. It's what we all wanted, apparently.

BBC radio, on the other hand, is superb.

I absolutely disagree. I am completely unable to watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio. Why would I want to be advertised to? I consider it an invasion of my privacy. Its awful trying to watch a film that is broken up every 15 mins by ads. Why on earth would anyone prefer that?

Edited by TimmyR

I dread the day we lose the BBC. I am completely unable to watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio. Why would I want to be advertised to? I consider it an invasion of my privacy.

I pay to be advertised to - until I finally get around to cancelling my Sky subscription.

BBC - £145.50 a year. Numerous radio channels both local and national, four main tv channels and a few others, a massive web site - all without adverts.

Sky - £360 a year. Almost no original content I chose to watch. Adverts.

Seriously, why do I have Sky?

Couldn't disagree more. For 39p a day I easily get my monies worth, and the BBC sets the standard that other broadcasters can only aspire to.

Long may it continue.

If the BBC permitted its customers to pay 39p each day that they watched television, instead of insisting (upon threat of court, fine and criminal record) that they pay the full amount in one go just so that BBC 'talent' and its management can live their lives in sheer luxury, during a time of economic hardship, it might not hurt so many people on low incomes so badly.

Mark Thompson, BBC Director General, is paid £834,000 per year. His salary is nothing compared to what the luvvies are paid. We have a situation where the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people in society are forced to pay the super rich to watch television. Disgusting.

I disagree, the BBC are far better than the Murdock type alternative TV.

We need the BBC to keep the balance.

I disagree, the BBC are far better than the Murdock type alternative TV.

We need the BBC to keep the balance.

How does using heavies (BBC TV Licensing enforcers) to threaten and intimidate poor people into paying money just so that the super rich can lead extravagant lifestyles "keep the balance"?

Unless the balance is poor people being threatened with demands for money with menaces from the rich?

I keep saying it, but BBC4 is worth the license fee alone.

My daughter is just starting to learn about the periodic table, so have just watched the first part of Chemistry: A Volatile History presented by Jim Al-Khalili. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

When I compare TV today with much of what we had 20 years ago, or what other countries have, I think we are very lucky. Much of this quality has been driven by the existence of the BBC, for which, again, I think we are very lucky.

When ever I hear people 'complain' about TV in the UK, I tend to assume it's people with too much choice and too little attention span?

BBC4 is pretty much becoming my default channel. theres always something on there thats interesting. Rich Hall was given 3 hours to explain the role of the deep south and the west in American cinema and did it brilliantly. The Beeb make programmes nobody else would and for less than the price of a mars bar a day its fantastic value.

That said its far from perfect and I do sort of resent paying for the channels and stations I don't use