Replace hard drive to completely cure virus

I was recently hit by a virus Trojan Sheur 3, which was a real headache to remove as it was difficult to boot just in safe mode, but followed some instructions on a website and managed to get the laptop up and running again, minus all my software!! Before I start installing software again I just wondered if it is wise to replace the harddrive, basically I have been told that you can never fully remove a virus and it will always lurk somewhere in the background and you can only be sure if you replace the harddrive..Does anyone know if this is the case? If so could it be that the virus is contained anywhere else on the laptop, in the memory for instance??

I was recently hit by a virus Trojan Sheur 3, which was a real headache to remove as it was difficult to boot just in safe mode, but followed some instructions on a website and managed to get the laptop up and running again, minus all my software!! Before I start installing software again I just wondered if it is wise to replace the harddrive, basically I have been told that you can never fully remove a virus and it will always lurk somewhere in the background and you can only be sure if you replace the harddrive..Does anyone know if this is the case? If so could it be that the virus is contained anywhere else on the laptop, in the memory for instance??

If you where right, and reformatting the hard drive doesn't solve the computer of it virus problem, what would swapping the hard drive do?

I am told that a portion of the hard drive is not affected by reformatting so if this is the case could it be the virus is still contained somewhere on it, or even separate to the hard drive in the memory for instance?

could it be the virus is still in ... the memory for instance?

Not if you remove the power or turn the box off.

Someone is pulling your chain.:thumbsup:

Doing a format and re installation of your Operating System from win 3.1 up to 7 will 100% clear any and all Virii and trojans from you computer No need to replace your HDD

I am told that a portion of the hard drive is not affected by reformatting so if this is the case could it be the virus is still contained somewhere on it, or even separate to the hard drive in the memory for instance?

If the virus exists separate to the HD, then swapping the HD wouldn't solve the problem wouldn't it?

Wouldnt removing the partions and rebuilding them cure this ?

Only if you have your HDD partitioned is any part of the HDD not 'affected'

No - that's not true at all.

Most viruses can be removed using standard AV Software and freely available tools, although in some cases you might need to do a full reinstall.

A new hard drive wouldn't be necessary.

If I didnt know any better it sounds like a quote from PC World.

Wouldnt removing the partions and rebuilding them cure this ?

Definitely 100%

Definitely 100%

Be careful not to delete all the partitions on a laptop hard disk - sometimes there's a hidden restore partition with an OS installer on it, or even a section of the hard drive reserved for bios settings.

If you ever need to wipe a laptop's hard drive and restore back to factory settings you're better off using the restore disc that is normally supplied with the PC.