Sandygate motors

The company I worked for at the time we did some Tarmac work we took the old petrol kiosk to my bosses house on a pickup then had to get a joiner to get it off has it was to heavy to lift

I was there as a body and paint apprentice aged 16 in 1965 working in the new shed round the back on Marsden's catering site. ex ice cream factory. My dad was a buildings maintenance man for Marsdens and we lived in the house next to the pub. Always late for work. This was pre-Dyson refractory days so management was a bit quirky as the owner was always in the Plough selling cars. A guy called Brian Sellers came to work as panel man and I painted things. Brian's lad was Scott Sellars who played football proffesionally. My girlfriend and I bought him his first babygrow onesie?

Mr Stones became general manager living in the bungalow next door. Pete Lockwood came there as a mechanic.

I left to be a fag salesman for Gallaher at age 19 but ended up until recent retirement in the Crash Repair Business as a consultant & trainer.

I googled the site recently to find that everything had become housing.

Steve Butler

Ed Marples here.

I worked at Sandygate from 1980 until sad closure in 1999.

Still visit Tom Stones occasionally.

I remember we had at one time 3 mechanics called Dave

Dave Bolton

Dave Baker

Dave Benson

Many happy memories and still see old customers from time to time

I remember Eddie Marples.Iworked in the parts department along with my wife who was the driver, and also worked on the pumps. We were there with: Dave Smith ,Terry Bell, John Pyecroft,Brian Marsden,Ken Mallows,Neill Leatherland,Jim Kenney,Brian Marsden,Robert Palmer,Mick ? and a lot of others who I can't bring to mind at the moment.We were there from 1976-1983.We often say they were our best working days.Great managers, Tom Stones and Pete Lockwood.Happy Days - Graham and Sue Whitham

On 15/09/2010 at 04:10, mikeG said:

Mr Barker ran it in the 60's. His son Dave used to borrow one of the cars off the forecourt and take 3/4 of us to places like Lathkildale and Monsoldale. Fortunately he only had the odd shandy and was an excellent driver.

Dave Barker is my father! Still an excellent driver, just now on the other side of the road. He’s living in Connecticut, USA!

22 hours ago, Karen Barker said:

Dave Barker is my father! Still an excellent driver, just now on the other side of the road. He’s living in Connecticut, USA!

Hi Karen. When you next see Dave, please give him regards from Mick George. Haven't seen him since 1962 but I was one of several in the Crosspool 1960's gang.