The site of Agden House at Bradfield

Hillsbro, can you tell me where the George & Dragon stood? I use the Woodhead regularly and would love to see if I can spot it's place.

Opposite the junction of the A6024 .. maps.google.co.uk

Edited by me-and-pippo
changed camera angle

Opposite the junction of the A6024 ....
Yes - I've arrowed it on this old map. I don't think there's any trace of the inn there now - the Google Earth aerial photo just shows faint the outline of some of the walls.

By the way speeder, if you go over Woodhead regularly you may be interested to know that another old pub stood about 2½ miles nearer to Sheffield, although this one closed as long ago as 1913. Here's a link to an article I wrote about the Millers Arms at Saltersbrook (just below the junction with the road to Dunford Bridge)..:)

Hi, just been reading your thread and wanted to tell you my mum's family were the last people to live at Rocher Head Farm. They were brother and sister and after they died the house was left for a few years before finally being demolished. I remember my mum taking us up there as children when she went to visit and we adored it. I live in Manchester now but still take days out occasionally to head over to Bradfield and walk down the lane and pass the remains of the farm. I can picture it how it used to be when I was little.

Where was Rocher Head Farm? I know where Agden Rocher is; was it near there?

Also, does anybody know what 'Agden' means?

Cheers, I've wondered for a long time what the old buildings were by the original bridge at Saltersbrook.

As for the George, I had a look at sites on the way back on Thursday and that was one of the few I could see that would have had enough room for a building of this status.

Did anything stand where the butty van sits above the entrance to the tunnels, seems a probable place for a building, I remember going in the caravan/coach that used to be there in the 70's as a kid with my dad.

Hi, just been reading your thread and wanted to tell you my mum's family were the last people to live at Rocher Head Farm. They were brother and sister and after they died the house was left for a few years before finally being demolished. I remember my mum taking us up there as children when she went to visit and we adored it. I live in Manchester now but still take days out occasionally to head over to Bradfield and walk down the lane and pass the remains of the farm. I can picture it how it used to be when I was little.

Onej - really interested to read about Rocher Head Farm - have been researching my family history and the farm - Joseph Saddington who lived there for years was my great great great grandfather.. I wonder if you have any old photos from when it was lived in?

Sheffdave200, I have a couple of pictures you may be interested in. One is outside the back door of the farm and is of Kitty (Catherine) and her brother with my Aunt between them and the other is also of Kitty with two other gents but this one is at the side of the farm by the side of the stable. I could try and get them copied for you.

Sheffdave200, I have a couple of pictures you may be interested in. One is outside the back door of the farm and is of Kitty (Catherine) and her brother with my Aunt between them and the other is also of Kitty with two other gents but this one is at the side of the farm by the side of the stable. I could try and get them copied for you.

That would be fantastic! Perhaps you could send me a private message (it won't let me send one to you as I haven't made 5 posts yet..!) and we can exchange contact details.

Thanks!

Hi there

I know this thread is quite old but its the first time i have seen it.

My husband is the grandson of Florence Anne Saddington born 24 FEBRUARY 1876 • Rocher Head Bradfield Yorkshire.

If anyone has any photos I would really appreciate it or if they are related would love to hear from you.

regards

Fanny Bloggs

Anybody know any history to this old house overlooking Agden reservoir? 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Midhopestones,+Sheffield+S36+4GP/@53.4411877,-1.6349394,150a,35y,45.01t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bd61f7d009d7d:0x6bd22fb46ef9d112!8m2!3d53.489333!4d-1.645431

You just get a glimpse of it on the hillside through the trees when driving along Mortimer Rd between Strines & Midhopestones.

On 08/07/2019 at 11:40, lil-minx92 said:

Anybody know any history to this old house overlooking Agden reservoir? 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Midhopestones,+Sheffield+S36+4GP/@53.4411877,-1.6349394,150a,35y,45.01t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bd61f7d009d7d:0x6bd22fb46ef9d112!8m2!3d53.489333!4d-1.645431

You just get a glimpse of it on the hillside through the trees when driving along Mortimer Rd between Strines & Midhopestones.

Think you mean Agden Lodge?

Quote:  "Agden Lodge, constructed in 1870, for Samuel Fox of Stocksbridge. It is thought he used the house as a shooting lodge, although he never lived there himself".

http://www.bradfield-walkers.org.uk/PDF/Walks/AGDEN RESERVOIR DL 6pp.pdf

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.4432&lon=-1.6357&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Reading this very interesting thread I started to walk around Agden Res in 2006 and on the far side was the remains of a stone building just perched on a slight hill which was near to the reservoir itself and when I have been in recent times this building has disappeared.

If you walk to the back end and as you start to come back towards Bradfield on the West side it was there, would I be right in saying this was part of Agden House