The site of Agden House at Bradfield

Hi

I often walk around Agden and Agden Bog at Bradfield. Around Agden Bog there is a site with a very old Yew tree a small remaining stone building. Apparently, this is the site of Agden House (or Agden Hall or farm, not sure) and I would really like to know if anyone has any information on this house. I've been unable to find any information on it and I don't really have time to do any research at the archives or library. A picture would be great. Thanks for reading x:)

Agden House was a farmhouse on the western side of agden resevoir, which was demolished in the 1970s, Rocher Head Farm was demolished in the early-1960s while Frost House was pulled down in the 1950s, all located around agden dam/ resevoir.

recently found the remains of wigtwizzle hall, also in the same area.

Thank you very much. Can you recommend any sources of information and where they are located?

I lived in Agden House from 1951 to 1963. It was formerly a hunting lodge that was turned into two houses. The building that is still on the site was used by Sheffield Waterworks for storage. I'll hunt out some photos for you. We loved living there even though it was a long walk to/from the village. The views from the house were fantastic because the trees weren't so invasive then. The old yew tree was by the side of the house. Brought back many happy memories!

Hi. Thanks for your response. It must have been a wonderful place to live; I assume you were a child at the time? What a place to grow up! I also had a rsponse from chap via a Bradfield local history site, who said that he also lived there (can't emember the dates though). I won't give his name to respect his privacy but maybe he's a relation? He said that the house was demolished beacuse the water board said that there was a danger of contamination to the water supply and that a few others were demolished for the same reason. It sounds a bit suspect to me :suspect: and a real shame that so many lovely old houses have been lost from the landscape. I would sooooooo like to live in Bradfied; it's some of our most beautiful countryside that still has that 'wild' feeling about it.

I would love to see photos if you could attach some :)

Agden House was demolished in 1972, and the water board were indeed the culprits. The late Harry Paton (dam keeper at Agden in the 1960s) told me that they had a policy of buying up all the property around the reservoirs whenever it came on the market. Whether this was because of the risk of contaminating the water supply I cannot say (though it seems plausible - this was also the reason given in the early 1960s for demolishing the George & Dragon Inn that used to overlook the Woodhead Reservoir). It just seemed as if the water board wanted their dams to be surrounded by trees and nothing else, and if there was no public access, so much the better from their point of view..:(

Here is a link to a photo of Agden House on the picturesheffield.com site.

Hi Rapido - can't better the photo from Hillsbro, although it wasn't like that in my time (after it was 'modernised') but if you checkout the same site you'll see a later photo. Not computer literate enough to do the link! Before we moved in the Waterworks installed a bathroom & indoor toilet (rare in Bradfield in those days) & coming from the Haychatter whose sole water supply was a cold tap in the kitchen which often dried up in summer, this was the height of luxury. No electricity though until about 1958, the poles & cables weren't allowed to disfigure the 'green belt'. My dad installed calor gas lights downstairs but we still had to take candles to bed. Even so, that was the norm. Bilberry, carberry & cranberry picking around what is now called Agden bog with the prospect of eating mum's pies & puddings still makes my mouth water.

Here's a link to the other photo. It isn't dated on the site; the older photo evidently dates from 1911..:)

Elissa and Hillsbro, thank you both so much for your responses. Did you mean that you used to live in the Haychatter?!! You have truly lived in the two most beautiful locations in South Yorkshire! The pictures are wonderful and when we next go on a family walk there we will be able to sit and envisage what used to stand there. I agree with your point Hillsbro, about the waterboard using 'contamination' as an exuse and denial of public access being the real purpose. I was once walking down the path that leads from the conduit, opposite Redmires dam, that ends up at a pond beside two old cottages that I believe, used to be gardeners cottages that served Stannage Lodge; I was told that I wasn't allowed to be there because the land belonged to the water board. I politely told the person in question where to go and the 'No public access' sign went soon after :hihi:

I hope you are happy living where you are now Ellesse. It seems that it has a lot to live up to!

Mum & my brothers lived at Agden until 1970. I know there were several offers to buy the house but the waterworks refused to sell. We couldn't understand why they pulled it down because it was a lovely stone house. I've just started my family tree & all the research I'm doing on Bradfield makes me quite homesick! Moved to the south coast to be near sons & grandchildren & love it here - but not for the scenery!!

Hi, just been reading your thread and wanted to tell you my mum's family were the last people to live at Rocher Head Farm. They were brother and sister and after they died the house was left for a few years before finally being demolished. I remember my mum taking us up there as children when she went to visit and we adored it. I live in Manchester now but still take days out occasionally to head over to Bradfield and walk down the lane and pass the remains of the farm. I can picture it how it used to be when I was little.

Hillsbro, can you tell me where the George & Dragon stood? I use the Woodhead regularly and would love to see if I can spot it's place.