The old Grindstone Crookes

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, nightrider said:

hmm in my experience all the Crookes pubs have had kind of crowd for years, except for the Cobden View (but I think that's very tatty nowadays and would rather go down the hill to Hallamashire/Closed Shop).

I think that's a bit harsh on the crookes pubs although I also prefer commonside.

Maybe I have a generally rose-tinted view of the Crookes pubs from years ago. But I still think the Ball is pretty good (for an all things to all men kind of place). The  Royal and Cobden are good. Micropub is OK. Punch Bowl was OK for a while (I haven't been in since the new regime). Noah's Ark must surely be better than what it was like before ? (which was terrible - like the Grindstone). Mason's - same as it ever was.  On the whole that's a better selection of pubs than most districts.

On 01/02/2019 at 14:21, Annie Bynnol said:

Future unknown.  Only rumours too numerous to mention. Assume that because it has not been boarded-up and despite loosing money every day it is open and paying a holding company, the new owners are something to do with pubs/catering.

What they need is a jukebox with Glen  Campbell on - altogether now -

"Like a Grindstone cowboy..................................................................................................................."

Guest makapaka
13 hours ago, Bilge said:

Maybe I have a generally rose-tinted view of the Crookes pubs from years ago. But I still think the Ball is pretty good (for an all things to all men kind of place). The  Royal and Cobden are good. Micropub is OK. Punch Bowl was OK for a while (I haven't been in since the new regime). Noah's Ark must surely be better than what it was like before ? (which was terrible - like the Grindstone). Mason's - same as it ever was.  On the whole that's a better selection of pubs than most districts.

The Masons has recently changed hands and I'm told its an improvement.

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Looking through the windows when driving past it looks exactly the same. I'll let someone else do the next stage of research.

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

hmm my friend was told that.....but when we went to have a drink we didn't even go in. We could see a few old people belting out karaoke, which was not what we were looking for (quiet pub with decent beer selection).

As someone mentioned the micro-pub is good (though I would not class it as a pub, more like a bar - so I don't include it in the decent/not-decent pub stakes).

I forgot about the princess royal - have been in once many years ago, although it was a locals only type place they were very friendly. But it had a very limited beer selection from what I can recall, so not great for anyone who likes to try lots of different beer types.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Bilge said:

Looking through the windows when driving past it looks exactly the same. I'll let someone else do the next stage of research.

You’d probably have to go in to form an opinion.

Been in Masons recently, little changed so once is enough .... also just passed Grindstone and there were lights on in the front windows, so still not sure if its actually closed or not.

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, peteh1 said:

Been in Masons recently, little changed so once is enough .... also just passed Grindstone and there were lights on in the front windows, so still not sure if its actually closed or not.

Grindstone closed.

Am told Masons is doing live music on the weekends which has gone down well.

The Old Grindstone is due to re-open soon as a Stancill pub.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
spelling

Its issue is that it is massive! Too big for the area almost. Even if it has 20 people in it feels dead, unlike the Masons in comparison that would feel full.

Hopefully Stancils have bought the freehold, look around Sheffield at pubs that have been "free'd" of their tie and floursihed, there are plenty of them.

It will be selling Stancill beer but owned by True North, which sounds odd.