The old Grindstone Crookes

Guest makapaka
What food?

What refurbishment?

Are you describing the Old Grindstone?

I know what they mean it had a refurb a few years ago and not really for the better.

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 23:38 ----------

Real ales: "John Smiths" "St Edmunds" "Hardy & Hanson's" ?:suspect:

You lost all credibility with that statement for me.

It's a nice pub. Tell it how it is!

The post you just replied to was from 8 years ago.

This thread has got confusing. Is it closed now or not?

Last I heard they were running down the stock ready to close. It was in darkness last couple of times I looked.

Greene King gaffs don't stay closed for long, is the next victim lined up yet?

It was closed all week except Friday ....

It was closed all week except Friday ....

As I said earlier it was certainly open Wednesday and Thursday as well.

Was open Saturday when I passed.

And it's open this evening too (nearly empty but then the Ball wasn't exactly heaving either).

Anyone know what's happening? My guess is that caretakers have been dropped in already.

And it's open this evening too (nearly empty but then the Ball wasn't exactly heaving either).

Anyone know what's happening? My guess is that caretakers have been dropped in already.

Sunday 7th October

Has now been closed again for a week.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Greene King have sold the pub with effect on Monday 3rd February. 

End of business will be Sunday if there is any beer left.

Future unknown.

Guest makapaka
43 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Greene King have sold the pub with effect on Monday 3rd February. 

End of business will be Sunday if there is any beer left.

Future unknown.

Who have they sold it to?

32 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Who have they sold it to?

Future unknown.  Only rumours too numerous to mention. Assume that because it has not been boarded-up and despite loosing money every day it is open and paying a holding company, the new owners are something to do with pubs/catering.

Well it was garbage the last time I went in, so I hope it can become a decent pub again one day. Last time I visited was a hot day in June last year on an early evening of an England world cup game. There was no-one in. It had no real ale whatsoever despite there being several handpumps on the bar. Nor was there anything in a bottle I might have wanted to drink. Rather than walking out I had a pint of San Miguel - which was just one of about 6 gassy lagers on sale. 

The time before that was about three years before and it was full of people shouting and swearing. Not really what I would expect from a Crookes pub on the borders of Broomhill and Crosspool.

I hope the next incarnation gets it right or it's going the same way as the 'new'  Grindstone across the road.

On 01/02/2019 at 20:19, Bilge said:

Well it was garbage the last time I went in, so I hope it can become a decent pub again one day. Last time I visited was a hot day in June last year on an early evening of an England world cup game. There was no-one in. It had no real ale whatsoever despite there being several handpumps on the bar. Nor was there anything in a bottle I might have wanted to drink. Rather than walking out I had a pint of San Miguel - which was just one of about 6 gassy lagers on sale. 

The time before that was about three years before and it was full of people shouting and swearing. Not really what I would expect from a Crookes pub on the borders of Broomhill and Crosspool.

hmm in my experience all the Crookes pubs have had kind of crowd for years, except for the Cobden View (but I think that's very tatty nowadays and would rather go down the hill to Hallamashire/Closed Shop).