Problems with resolution in windows 7- can anyone help?

I have recently installed windows 7 on my fairly old pc ( its about 6 yrs), and I am just having 1 problem.

The resolution set was default at 640 x 480, this means that all the icons are too big and all the internet explorer windows i open are too big for the page, if I reduce the % of the page the text goes fuzzy. I have managed to go into advacned setting on change resolution under control panel and in advance setting, in list all modes if I change it to 1024 x 768- it is the right size, but then all the colours go wrong, I have noticed the default setting says high color- which is the only option that does- is there anything I can do or is the pc just too old for Windows 7 , its a dell dimension 1100 if that helps. I dont know if I can download or install anything to fix this? my adapter type says standard vga graphic adapter - does know if this help

Hope someone can help!!!!!

It's probably too old for Windows 7 to be honest.

It looks like to me that Windows 7 does not have a driver for your computer's graphics.

If you go to the Dell website you should be able to enter the machines serial number to get a list of all the drivers available. The chances are that on a machine that old that dell will not support it with Windows 7 and there may not be a graphics driver for your machine. If there is a driver, download it and install it like any other computer program.

If Dell don't support it, you still may be able to get a driver by finding out what graphics chip/graphics card you have and going direct to the manufacturers site to get drivers.

If you're not sure what you're doing ask a friend who knows a bit about PCs to help. It's not difficult but can seem daunting if you've not done it before.

yup... sounds like you are missing gfx card drivers.

If there are no W7 drivers try the vista ones. On the rare occasion early on with W7 I havent been able to find a W7 driver, the vista one works perfectly.

thanks for your reply, i dont have anyone to help - can anyone talk me thru it?

many thanks

Just been looking up the specification of the machine it states that it only comes with 256 Mb of RAM and its graphics is an onboard Intel Extreme 2 (built on to the motherboard). The machine has 3 PCI slots for expansion.

The first thing you are going to do is to upgrade the memory to its maximum of 1 Gb and then go out and buy a separate graphics card - PCI graphics cards are no longer produced; the latest are PCI-E - there is no mention of an AGP slot which are also no longer made (and came out before PCI-E - you might have to look in Classifieds or E-bay to get one (Read this first). Clearly 256Mb of memory is not going to be enough hence the poor graphics resolution as it is using part of the 256 Mb RAM to power the Intel extreme chip.

swarfendor43

Edited by swarfendor43

thanks for your reply, it is difficult to upgrade the memory and graphics card - I have put vista on for now, but its so slow its driving me crazy!!!

try xp on it

should run better with that

The OP was attempting to upgrade (these Dells came with XP Home). My advice would be to try Vector Linux Live to see if it is compatible and you could live with it - would also depend if you use Windows specific software which might prove problematical to use. I suggest Vector Linux as it is one of the freebies that is a close resemblance to have a windows 'Start' Menu - the only difference is the word is 'MENU'. OpenOffice is not on the Live Version if memory serves me right but the installable version does I think or can be downloaded from the Vector Linux Repositories. Screenshot of installable version here. You will find it noticeably quicker than Vista!

swarfendor43