Bands bypassing Sheffield !! what gives !!

Why do so many "name bands" on tour bypass Sheffield ????

Could it be because the arena is an awful venue - sound, atmosphere. And other venues in the city just aren't deemed big enough. Such a shame.

We don't have a decent size good quality standing venue.

The Roxy/02 is really a nightclub and the shape of the building is wrong for seeing bands. Unless you are on the main dancefloor bit the views and sound are poor. So only about half the audience gets to see and hear properly. The Octagon was a lot better in my view, but it's smaller and seemingly isn't used for bands much now. The Leadmill seems not to get so many bands these days probably because the Roxy/O2 gets most of them.

I'm sure this topic was covered a few months back but I can't find it.

I disagree that we don't have any good venues. I think the arena isn't bad, not as good as Manchester but better than the NIA, the city hall is great and sounds fantastic, the o2 academy is not bad and much better than the Leeds one which gets picked instead of Sheffield.

Maybe it's the different taste in music and the acts associated with it, but I find that we get plenty of quality acts - big and small - each year.

I tend to find that if Sheffield is missed on one tour, it's usually visited on the following one.

Venue wise, the arena has been good for most shows I've seen, the Academy isn't bad, Corporation has good acoustics. City Hall I remember being good too. Leadmill isn't bad either.

Corporation has good acoustics.

You are quite possibly the only person in the world who could possibly think this...

Corporation has some of the worst acoustics I have ever heard. It just sounds like noise most of the time! And this is from someone who has been to a lot of gigs there!

Maybe it's the different taste in music and the acts associated with it, but I find that we get plenty of quality acts - big and small - each year.

I tend to find that if Sheffield is missed on one tour, it's usually visited on the following one.

Venue wise, the arena has been good for most shows I've seen, the Academy isn't bad, Corporation has good acoustics. City Hall I remember being good too. Leadmill isn't bad either.

Noticed that ALL the gigs advertised in MOJO and Wire,the bands are NOT playing in Sheffield.

Noticed that ALL the gigs advertised in MOJO and Wire,the bands are NOT playing in Sheffield.

Like I said in my original post, I believe that it's down to taste/styles of music. For example, Sheffield gets loads of decent-good-great rock and metal bands every year playing the arena, Academy, and Corporation. There are also good local sized bands playing West Street Live pretty much all the time.

I've got six gigs at corp between now and the end of November, and possibly two more. I don't think I can handle more bands coming this way! lol.