My baby son (The Rockin' Dude...) How did you get your baby to sleep?

After nearly four weeks of trying all the 'usual' methods of getting a newborn to sleep, we discovered today that playing rock music sends him off in a jiffy :suspect:

He particularly seems to like 'The Strokes' (A chip off the old block :D )

Once he is 'off' we turn the volume down gradually, it seems to be working a treat - keep your fingers crossed for us :)

Did you ever have any unusual ways of getting baby to sleep?

Richard and Judy had an 'expert' on their programme earlier this year whereby they swaddled the baby and had the baby facing outwards whilst gently rocking and swooshing in their ear - something like that anyway. The babies settled immediately. Babies like to be swaddled as it makes them feel safe.

It might be an idea to look on R & J's website. Although it was several months since the programme was shown.

Car fumes used to do it for the little un - 4 am every morning driving around the estate - been stopped by the Police on numerous occasions :(

Music had the same effect on our lad too, Classic FM was his choice.

He will tune in to that channel himself now 11 years on :thumbsup:

Gentle facial massage too, one finger following lines of brow, cheek bones, allong nose (up) and accross hair line.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by mitziwillow

Richard and Judy had an 'expert' on their programme earlier this year whereby they swaddled the baby and had the baby facing outwards whilst gently rocking and swooshing in their ear - something like that anyway. The babies settled immediately. Babies like to be swaddled as it makes them feel safe.

:nod: we rocked, we swaddled, we swooshed :nod:

He seems to prefer the music :)

one of those helicopter things that hang from the ceiling and go round and round,drove me nuts it made more noise than the baby but worked every time for both kids:D

My little pickle used to like to sleep with classic f.m too when he was a babe in arms, he also likes foot massage sends him off every time :thumbsup:

Originally posted by mitziwillow

It might be an idea to look on R & J's website. Although it was several months since the programme was shown.

I remember seeing that episode and I was really amazed.

Draggle, did you play rock music much when Longshanks was pregnant? I seem to remember babies can hear music whilst in the womb, so maybe he just remembers it and it makes him feel safe?

I could be talking out of my bum, but either way it's a nice idea! :thumbsup:

K x

20 year old brother used to settle immediately after swaddling.

18 year old brother used to settle to U2's Joshua Tree - my favourite album at the time.

It may have been because my room was a little less 'tense' than the rest of the house after one of his screaming fits :suspect:, but eventually he began to associate the music with sleeping and it would work instantly

20 year old brother used to scream for over an hour if he heard anything by Phil Collins :hihi:

Originally posted by Kristian

Draggle, did you play rock music much when Longshanks was pregnant? I seem to remember babies can hear music whilst in the womb, so maybe he just remembers it and it makes him feel safe?

K x [/b]

:nod: Yes Kristian, we did play rock music when Longshanks was pregnant. That must be it!

We did also play 'ambient' music at that time in the hope that it would send him to sleep as a baby. It obviously wasn't loud enough to register :D

Honeyplanet, foot massage has worked once or twice. but not when he's in a real paddy :roll:

My lttle un still loves his feet rubed now, he will sit on the sofa with me and put his little foot in my hand bless...

Originally posted by Internetowl

Car fumes used to do it for the little un - 4 am every morning driving around the estate - been stopped by the Police on numerous occasions :(

Worked for one of mine too.Even now hes a teenager he still falls asleep with in ten minutes of being in car.