Sign in to follow this  

How has retirement affected you ?

When)my husband retired four years ago we always got up at the same time as he went to work(8.30.) But after four years of retirement,we find the day "too long" I know working people will find this hard to beleive,but it really is true. So you lay in till 10.a.m. Then you think(if hes not going fishing)Where can we go today ? Do you feel like this ?

Although I have a long way to retire I am looking forward to it. I hope to be in good health when I retire so that I can lead an active ( not too much ) retirement.

My in-laws are both retired but have very different daily lives. My mother-in-law goes shopping a couple of days. Another day she spends at a grandaughters. She visits an elderly gent another afternoon and goes to a dance another day. Her evenings consist of a couple of nights at the local community centre and an aged persons centre one night a week. In her 'spare' time she does a bit of gardening and housework. He in comparison makes garden furniture and does odd jobs for people. He's recently enrolled on a boat handling course and has been to computer classes since retiring 6 years ago. His philosophy is that if you keep active you keep younger, as once you stop you start to deteriorate.

Do you have any hobbies or interests that would take you out and about a bit?

I think you need a lot of hobbies. my dad gardens a lot and my mother walks and gossips:)

My father retired early due to an accident with the brigade, but he always keeps himself busy, he bought himself a large patch of agricutral land to play with spends most of his time up there.

He certainly never seems bored.

I retired 16 yrs ago and can honestly say I have never been bored. I found that I couldn't fit everything in that I wanted to do. I found it difficult to believe that I didn't have to go to work

having always worked. So every wake up was a joy. And Mondays had a whole new meaning.

Gardening, computer studies, painting and sketching, voluntery work, French classes and sitting the exam. Travel, and much more, all at my finger tips.

Of course there is the theory that work expands to fill the time which has a lot of truth in it.

And now there is Sheff Forum to fill the gaps.

hazel

Oh! how I envy you all, I hoped after working all my life, that I would be able to choose what my retirement years would be like, I have never worked so hard in my life, I'm still looking after two disabled people who without me God knows what would happen, I am so tired and I can't see anything changing in my future, How i wish I could spend time just doing nothing.

I know I must sound a miserable s--d, butI often ask myself why some people get all the c---p, while others sale through life without a care.

Wow, Applegrim, you sound really down at the moment & tired out as well.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but is there nowhere you can get a bit of help, even if it's just for a few hours a week.

Get in touch with social sevices at Redvers House. They should be able to help you (or tell you where you can get some help.)

You won't be able to look after anybody if you end up worn out & ill yourself. You sound like you desparatley need some help. Please try to get some, we all need help at times.

Originally posted by Applegrim

Oh! how I envy you all, I hoped after working all my life, that I would be able to choose what my retirement years would be like, I have never worked so hard in my life, I'm still looking after two disabled people who without me God knows what would happen, I am so tired and I can't see anything changing in my future, How i wish I could spend time just doing nothing.

I know I must sound a miserable s--d, butI often ask myself why some people get all the c---p, while others sale through life without a care.

I will never grumble again,as you seem to have it really hard,Applegrim.In the past I have always looked after somebody,either children,or my aged parents,so know how you feel.

I really am so sorry, I feel as though I've put the kiss of death on all your retirement years, yes I have to do all what I say, but thats not your fault, I really do wish you all well, perhaps I'll

be able to have a change of lifestyle soon,till then continue as you are, i don't blame you one bit, and hopefully I'll be able to catch you all up sometime soon.

Originally posted by Applegrim

I really am so sorry, I feel as though I've put the kiss of death on all your retirement years, yes I have to do all what I say, but thats not your fault, I really do wish you all well, perhaps I'll

be able to have a change of lifestyle soon,till then continue as you are, i don't blame you one bit, and hopefully I'll be able to catch you all up sometime soon.

You deserve it a thousand fold,your time will come,and nobody deserves it more than you. You can only be admired,a carers work is an unthankful job.

Apple I feel so sorry

The burden is to much for you I know and still you struggle.

I have no words to express my admiration for you and the care you are gving to your loved ones..

I have no magic wand to wave to change your situation but just words of sympathy

hazel

obviosly we all get old & different things affect different people. keeping busy apparently is the best remedy to retirement.

but can retired people pls tell me why they forget where the accelerator pedal is in the car, they can find the brake alright just not the gas pedal.