Union Carbide (Claywheels lane), does anyone know when it opened etc ?

I worked at Union Carbide from  84 to 89. The factory was originally built to supply graphite electrodes for the steel industry - IO believe in the 1930's. Nearly all the electric arc furnaces in the UK were operated by BSC in Sheffield. With the development of nuclear power in the 50's the UK developed the AGR - Advanced Gas Cooled Reactor. This had a graphite core which think helped control the reaction. All the reactors built in the early stages of nuclear power were AGR so Union Carbide was very successful.  In the 80's the UK decided to switch to build PWR - Pressurised Water Reactors based on a US design. The switch plus the decline of the steel industry meant the end of the Claywheels Lane factory. I think it finally closed in the early 90's. I left in 89 when the Head Office in Fountain Precinct closed. This was when Union Carbide was carved up as the ultimate outcome of the Bhopal disaster

In addition to the main factory there was a smaller unit on the left before the main factory entrance. This was sold by Union Carbide in around 1987. This made graphite brushed for big electric motors and engines. I think it was a guy called Terry Smith - ex Sales Director at Union Carbide - who bought the business.

My dad worked there for 25 plus years until 1989. He was a shift foreman and they worked 8hr shifts, 24hr runs. 3 days nights, 3 days mornings, 3 days afternoons then 2 off. 

It was a dirty job. Covered in graphite day after day.

I remember the place had an awful smell and shower rooms that were constantly in use.

They did indeed make huge graphite rods used at Stockbridge Steel works electric arc furnace.

I blame the place for my father's eventual early departure from this world (41). Not just the dust but the work patterns which were brutal.

I do remember works outings to pantomimes, cricket matches etc. As I said very much an early 20th century industrial plant . Not really a bad thing it's now gone.