Union Carbide (Claywheels lane), does anyone know when it opened etc ?

Does anyone know anything about the history of Union Carbide/British Acheson Electrodes on Claywheels lane ?

When did it open and what exactly did they used to do there ?

I think I`m right in saying it shut in 2005 ?

My Dad worked there about 50-51.

He once took me round the plant but I have no idea what they made.

It could have been extra hard metal used for cutting tools,all I remember were half submerged elongated domes in the floor

my dad worked there too - use to make carbon rods i think

my dad worked there too - use to make carbon rods i think

It was in use during the 2nd world War. Was always told as a lad, at that time it was a "Hush-Hush factory".

Doing top secret work. Probably to do with Carbon Electrodes for Nuclear research.

I think the company was founded during the 1st World but do not

have any knowledge of their original products.

Edited by bazjea

Don't know when it opened but my Father and Uncle both worked there. They used to make electrodes for industry by baking high quality carbon and graphite at high temperatures. Many of the electrodes were used in the atomic power plants as well.

whats your dad and uncle called they probably know my dad

It used to be called the black lead factory,everyone who worked there was covered in graphite,i believe they made carbon/graphite rods for the electric arc furnaces in the steel industry.

As previously said, carbon graphite rods for electrodes and the centre rods in the older style batteries. Graphite is also used as a lubricant in its powder form, and can be also added to oils (colloidal graphite).

my dad worked there too, late 60's I'd guess, he was a carbon electrode inspector. They used to put on Christmas partys for the workers kids with food and crackers and entertainment. It was a dirty job, my dad could never get his nails clean!

My dad and granddad worked there in the day. A lot of people who worked there had to have lung ops with all dust from the place. I remember safety constitution they held every year.