Sign in to follow this  

What is the difference in these two approaches ?

Ive had my computer now for four months,and love it, but Ive never been able to understand this : What is the difference between going into a programme from "Start" then up into your panel,with your name on top,icons down the left hand side, and things like your computer etc;(which I think these are for word processing) on the right.You can click onto on theleft side of the panel" internet explorer" and "Outlook Express"and go into that programme and : ignoring the "Start " panel and going straight to your "Desk Top Icons" and clicking twice from there ?

There isnt any difference apart from clicking on your desktop icons is quicker than going into the start menu to click on something.

No difference whatsoever in the slightest. It's just 2 different ways of doing the same thing.

The technical bit behind this is that the buttons you click are just shortcuts, i.e. 'icons that tell the computer where the actual program is'. You can have shortcurts anywhere and everywhere as the actual program is buried inside the Windows folders and the shortcuts are intended for you to place in more convenient locations, e.g. on the desktop or in the start menu.

Thanks,buffs ,once more. Problem solved once again.Someone also told me that you can use certain keys on your keyboard,instead of your mouse.Is this true ?

Originally posted by pattricia

Thanks,buffs ,once more. Problem solved once again.Someone also told me that you can use certain keys on your keyboard,instead of your mouse.Is this true ?

Yes you can. You can do anything that you can do on your mouse with the keyboard, but its not the best of techniques. Are you wanting to know how to do it?

Someone also told me that you can use certain keys on your keyboard,instead of your mouse.Is this true ?

You can do everything on a PC that you can do now from a keyboard with even touching the mouse. There are a lot of keyboard commands already built into Windows, e.g. Windows key + D = Show Desktop.

You can also add your own shortcut keys to programs, so something like 'Ctrl - Shift and E' could start your email program. Personally, I've found that this just knackers the whole machine up so it's best not to do it!

Some keyboards have 'hotkeys' that when pressed launch a programme. There might be ones for your email, internet browser etc. They are quite cool but I always forget them and end up using the icons on the PC. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess :)

Originally posted by Grissom

Some keyboards have 'hotkeys' that when pressed launch a programme.

Oh yeah, forgot about those! I've got loads on this keyboard, all I ever use though is the volume up and down buttons.

Hmm, just pressed a few and nothing happened so I've obviously not fitted this one properly!

Originally posted by Lurch

Oh yeah, forgot about those! I've got loads on this keyboard, all I ever use though is the volume up and down buttons.

Hmm, just pressed a few and nothing happened so I've obviously not fitted this one properly!

Dont think Ill bother,as it seems more trouble than its worth.Must buy a computer book though, a simple one(probably a childs one would be best for me) must look in PC World. How do you turn the volume up though Lurch ?

Dont think Ill bother,as it seems more trouble than its worth.Must buy a computer book though, a simple one(probably a childs one would be best for me) must look in PC World. How do you turn the volume up though Lurch ?

Either on the keyboard, or double click on the speaker icon - in the system tray (those things next to the clock), and change it there.

:)

If it isn't displayed: Start > Control Panel > Sounds and there'll be an option to show the icon in system tray.

How do you turn the volume up though Lurch ?

I use the volume button with a '+' sign on it. :wink:

If you haven't got keyboard volume controls then single click on the icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen that looks like a little yellow speaker. This should bring up an on screen volume control. The other way is to just turn the volume up and down on the speakers themselves.