Setting up a discount food shop??

Im thinking of setting up a Discount food shop.

Basicaly most items will be either be passed there "best before date", clearance, bankrupt stock etc. I may also sell pound shop items too. The food items will be things such as tinned, chocolate, biscuits, crisp, tinned fruit, and dry foods. Also i may sell frozen foods past there "best before date" such as fish cakes, chicken burgers, meats etc.

My shop will be heavily discounted and hope to be the cheapist in sheffield!

I know this shop will not be for every one so please no ignorant replys!

Before anyone asks YES this is all legal!! The food standards agency stats u can sell products past the "best before date". Its "use by" items which are illegal too sell!!

All products will be perfectly eatable. If a tin of beans has a 4 year best before date, is there a problem eating it after 4 years n 1 month??

Basically im wondering :

1. Would u use the shop?

2.What items would u buy?

3. Is there anything u would be put off by?

4. Would u be prepared to travel if u were saving aot of money on ur weekly shop?

5. Would u buy frozen meat passed its "best before date"? i tried a bernard matthews turkey escolope yesturday bb march 2010 and it was scrumptious!!

Any advice would be helpfull! This shop is not for everyones taste but Obviosly not everyone can afford luxery food and with the recession here to stay we all need to budget! Obviosly none off the foods we would sell have health risks otherwise this would be illegal!!

Thanks

Edited by therealblade
added question

How will you be able to sell foods cheaper than the other discount stores e.g. jack fultons, pound shops etc when they are huge companies which can buy in massive quantities and thus are able to get good deals from manufacturers?

Where is this shop going to be based? City centre?

I remeber an article in the newspaper couple of years ago about this. How long after foods use by date is it still ok to eat.

I think Fish and fruit are the only things that would put me off.

I think the price of petrol would put me off travelling too far.. How cheap would a tin of beans be in your shop?

I'd get a van, get a license/permit for a popular layby and sell from there (there is a guy who does this on the Bochum Parkway)

I'd get a van, get a license/permit for a popular layby and sell from there (there is a guy who does this on the Bochum Parkway)

Did consider that but i need storage space so i want a shop.

I remeber an article in the newspaper couple of years ago about this. How long after foods use by date is it still ok to eat.

I think Fish and fruit are the only things that would put me off.

I think the price of petrol would put me off travelling too far.. How cheap would a tin of beans be in your shop?

Being a discount store the items we sell are here today gone tommorow but obviously we would always have the basics in.

Why stick to a layby, why not be mobile and leaflet your chosen areas?

I would sight yourself in poorer areas. Also try filling in around the cheap products you mention with items which should regularly bring people through the door and on which you can push the price up and so make a better margin. eg. Cigarettes, alcohol (Subject to licencing). Be sure you are buying at the right price as well - I am aware of company's that have done very well wholesaling this kind of product.

I would sight yourself in poorer areas. Also try filling in around the cheap products you mention with items which should regularly bring people through the door and on which you can push the price up and so make a better margin. eg. Cigarettes, alcohol (Subject to licencing). Be sure you are buying at the right price as well - I am aware of company's that have done very well wholesaling this kind of product.

Thanks for the advice there Ian!

I am still looking for a location- one of which was on a high street in a poor mining village (high unemployment) that had a lot of empty shops but still had alot post office, banks, solicitors etc. People dont use the high street as much because a new road has been built through.

The rent was very reasonable however empty shops are a concerm?

But im hopeing pound shops/discount stores strive in a "ghost town high street"??

hi good idea i have shop in eckington ideal place for shop

you want open if you want rent drop me line