Wellington pub shalesmoor

Anybody know what this is like, do they have any entertainment?

There's some entertaining old men ranting at the bar usually :)

It's a nice traditional pub with a good selection of ales, including some home-brewed ones. However, in my opinion, it's a little scruffy and in desperate need of some re-upholstery and paint! Plus, one of the barmen isn't very personable, and the atmosphere can be a touch on the quiet side. Depends what you like. I tend to pop in now and then, as the beer is good, but it's not at the top of my list.

do they have any entertainment?

I hope you're joking... :hihi:

The place stinks.

Sorry to bump an old post, but has this place closed?

It's an old favourite of mine but I've been able to get over there in a while. Was round there last week and it looked like it was no longer doing business...

It's been bought (by the people who run the sheaf view I believe, but I may be wrong), and is currently being refurbished

That's good news, I can't deny it could have done with a lick of paint...

Next time I'm round there I'll be sure to see how it's going.

I heard it was due to re-open some time in September.

---------- Post added 18-08-2016 at 09:06 ----------

Date of reopening now pushed back to October 1st.

Its a very traditional old pub with a great interior and usually deathly quiet when you walk in I kinda like its old time character ! Though one cant help the feeling of "this is a local pub for local people" as you walk in ... well with the success of the Shakespeare and the The Ship inn, both nearby, and a real "real ale trail" developing in the area, I cant help feeling that this one is ripe for "renovation" although I hope that if they do they get it right and dont go overboard losing all its character like they did with the Ship Inn ... bring back the wallpaper ! lol

What is the other part of the building used for? It's quite run down and detracts even more from the pub (which looks quite tidy on the outside). It would be good if the pub could acquire it and extend with maybe an outdoor area and signage on the gable end.

What is the other part of the building used for? It's quite run down and detracts even more from the pub (which looks quite tidy on the outside). It would be good if the pub could acquire it and extend with maybe an outdoor area and signage on the gable end.

It was Neil's brewery, wasn't it, back in the Cask and Cutler days? Where he made the infamous grass beers...

the brewery was in the 'brick shed' behind the pub. the building attached to the pub was a house once upon a time but hasn't been used as such for years. apparently rather decrepit inside, would take a lot of work to be habitable or usable as part of pub (I'll resist temptation to say they've hardly needed more space in the last few years ;-) )

the brewery was in the 'brick shed' behind the pub. the building attached to the pub was a house once upon a time but hasn't been used as such for years. apparently rather decrepit inside, would take a lot of work to be habitable or usable as part of pub (I'll resist temptation to say they've hardly needed more space in the last few years ;-) )

Maybe Butler has decamped into there...a sort of bogeyman. "Go in the outshed and Butler will get you!"