Sheffield: In the North or Midlands?

North Midlands.
Although I don't think there is any such area as the North Midlands, I agree with Honkytonk. Anything that puts us closer to London can only be a good thing ... see my siggie :) Edited by rubydazzler
typo

The North Midlands!

This. Sheffield is the capital of the North Midlands in fact.

Use of the North Midlands concept seems to be growing quite a bit in the west Sheffield middle classes I've noticed. The two University's use it in their marketing materials too.

Remember Sheffield is about equal distance between London (proper south) and Newcastle (proper north). Midlands for me then.

If you get a map of England out Sheffield is a good contender to be

at the centre of England

Therefore should be Midlands?

It's about more than mere geography - it's a state of mind.

Although I don't think there is any such area as the North Mildands, I agree with Honkytonk. Anything that puts us closer to London can only be a good thing ... see my siggie :)

The North Midlands is a loosely-defined area of England. It is typically held to include South Yorkshire and the northern parts of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and in some definitions also covers southern Cheshire and parts of Lincolnshire and Staffordshire. The region's capital is Sheffield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Midlands

Although I don't think there is any such area as the North Mildands, I agree with Honkytonk. Anything that puts us closer to London can only be a good thing ... see my siggie :)

You must be off your rocker.

I'd always class Sheffield as being in the North, but at the lower end of the north if that makes sense!

I've read somewhere that the true geographical centre of England is somewhere in Leicestershire so we're a good way north of that.

Ironically though, if you were to take the most northerly part of England, somewhere around Berwick, and draw a straight line down to the south coast then Sheffield is almost exactly half way down...

You must be off your rocker.
*whispers in Hal's ear* You've not seen the other thread then? I'm just feeding Honkytonk's prejudices to see how much he'll swallow before he twigs ;)

...Use of the North Midlands concept seems to be growing quite a bit in the west Sheffield middle classes I've noticed. The two University's use it in their marketing materials too...

The North Midlands is a loosely-defined area of England. It is typically held to include South Yorkshire and the northern parts of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and in some definitions also covers southern Cheshire and parts of Lincolnshire and Staffordshire. The region's capital is Sheffield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Midlands

meh, I've never heard of such a place. This is obviously a concept devised and written by Southerners and/or pseudo-intellectuals! :rant: Edited by rubydazzler

*whispers in Hal's ear* You've not seen the other thread then? I'm just feeding Honkytonk's prejudices to see how much he'll swallow before he twigs ;)

Sorry Ruby, I haven't - it's been a long day; never took you for one who'd deny our Northern-ness.

Living dahn sarf I have to say that southern jessies class ANYTHING north of Watford Gap as North. So the southern jessies think we are northerners and most of us think we are northern and most importantly I am proud to say that I am a Sheffielder and a northerner and no other categorising by any one else matters.