Sheffield: In the North or Midlands?

I used to class myself as a northerner and a Yorkshireman, before they messed about with the ridings. I've no affection for Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster, so being classed as a North Midlander would not upset me.

The question was is Sheffield in the North or the Midlands. The answer's simple - Sheffield is in South Yorkshire and the whole of Yorkshire is in the North.

Bits of Sheffield may have been in Derbyshire (Midlands) once but have been taken over by Sheffield so are now part of Yorkshire/the North.

Sheffield's post code may stretch into Midland's places like Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire etc but that doesn't mean Sheffield is in one of those areas. Those areas just happen to fall in our post code.

It was always classified as north east but it got complicated and now even more so . We now things like stagecoach yorkshire working into sheffield from chesterfield and iun the past we had yorkshire electricity - a north east term ! - but the gas came from East Midlands Gas !

I think most people would regard it as either yorkshire region or North East as generaly speaking derbyshire is the top of the midlands area . Using Post codes can cause even more conusion as S stretches to clay cross as said above but it also stretches out to Barber Booth the other side of Edale and I dont think any one would say that is the North East.

Classed as NEYH, north east yorkshire and humber. This is what the home office class it as.

I suppose it's whatever signs are placed there nowadays.

We need not march on Chesterfield, we can just bob oer in a trani van and place a city of Sheffield sign above the welcome the Cheserfield signs, to expand our empire.

If you go more or less west you hit Manchester / Liverpool who are always regarded as Northern cities. In fact due to the way the UK sits geographically Sheffield may be more truly a northern city than either of those!

Anything north of HQ (Burton on Trent) is North :)

If you get a map of England out Sheffield is a good contender to be

at the centre of England

Therefore should be Midlands?