Sheffield: In the North or Midlands?

At work today we've been discussing whether Sheffield is classed as being in the North or in the Midlands. Does anyone know of a way we can see officially which on it is?

Also, what do you think it is?

Officially it is south Yorkshire - Yorkshire - the north. On some websites though we are classed as midlands. Some of my more northern friends used to refer to Sheffield people as the cockneys of yorkshire.

I go for yorkshire though.

Its not as daft a question as it sounds, its always a problem knowing which area to put as different web sites have different interpretations.

Personally I would say north ………….. but only just north. :D

I heard someone on Sunday call Hull the "North East". I'd reserve that tag for Newcastle, Sunderland and the like. But I wouldn't call it "East", that's more Norfolk way.

Funnily enough The Sheffield Star has been designated in the the Johnston Press Groups Midland division. So North Midlands I would imagine?

I suppose where Yorkshire stops is as far south as you can be and still be in the north - i'd have said Chesterfield is east midlands...

Locations are stipulated as North West, North East. Sheffield is neither of those!

I suppose where Yorkshire stops is as far south as you can be and still be in the north - i'd have said Chesterfield is east midlands...

And the confusion is only increased because, during the twentieth century, much of what was in Derbyshire and East Midlands, has been absorbed into Sheffield. (Mosborough, Beighton, and so on.)

My guess is that Yorkshire is generally classed as being in the North of England, so by definition if Sheffield is in Yorkshire it's in the North

But to me, geographically, it's North Midlands - so does that make Hull North East Midlands?

I suppose it also depends who's making the statement - having just said I think it's North Midlands, I class myself as a Northerner

The Sheffield postcode extends as far as Clay Cross, which I would say in East Midlands?

I've seen increased use of the term Sheffield City Region.

Eg the local transport plan till 2015 is based on the Sheffield City Region which is defined as

South Yorkshire:

o Sheffield

o Rotherham

o Doncaster

o Barnsley

Derbyshire:

o Chesterfield

o North East Derbyshire

o Bolsover

o Derbyshire Dales

Nottinghamshire:

o Bassetlaw

If you go by the old boundaries of Hallamshire I believe its southern edge was the Sheaf river so to the south of the Sheaf is the large midland kingdom of Mercia

Large areas of Southern Sheffield (the North?) were originally in Derbyshire (Midlands?) so I guess the city bridges the two areas but has slowly been extending further South.

i think on most maps etc now we are classed as the north east. to me it will always be north though