Anyone remember Blanchards dept store, infirmary road

Hiya Mark. The Swap shop was owned by a friend of my fathers and for the life of me i cannot remember his name. All i can remember was that he live at Nether Edge. Got my first air rifle from him. The Chinese was called The Coronation after the cafe that used to be there and i think he had something to do with the garage at the bottom of Gilpin Street. I always knew him as Nobby after his reply after every order, nobelong.

Could the guy who owned the swap shop be called Donald Roberts or Donald Heywood ???

Could the guy who owned the swap shop be called Donald Roberts or Donald Heywood ???

Don't know who actually owned it but the guy who ran the shop for 18 years (up to the early 70s, I think) was a close friend of mine, Bob Smith.

I first knew Bob as a friend in 1976 but remember him in the shop when he bought my bike in 1962 or thereabouts

He died around 2003.

Edited by carosio

The `sasparilla café was called Jack`s....black, greasy haired bloke with a `tache I recall...

Hi,

I worked in the cash office at Blanchard's, 1962, I was 14 and it was my first job.  Remember spending our breaks in a disused small room, upstairs somewhere, there were holes in the floor and an electric fire.  Wouldn't be allowed these days!!

Mr Hawes was the Manager.  Mrs Morton and two other very old ladies, (to me at the time).  As the "junior" I had to put away the files every night in the roof, where I could hear the mice running around .. ugh .. gives me the creeps even now.

On 18/01/2013 at 19:36, Iwasthere1 said:

Yeah sounds like Blanchards if everything was wrapped in brown paper - The Blanchards i remember wasn't actually bang in the Hillsborough vicinity it was on infirmary Road across from the Sheffield Infirmary hospital which was an area called 'Kelvin' but infirmary Road was a main road that lead to hillsborough!

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 19:38 ----------

Oh was it 'Ying Waa"?

Ying Waa that was it, happy days.