Anyone remember Blanchards dept store, infirmary road

Did u live on the kelvin flats ?

No, i lived further up the hill near Crookesmoor School.

I just had the idea of having a peep on picturesheffield, but the only pictures I could find for Blanchards are of the furniture store, which looks just like an ordinary terraced corner shop, and not the (to my memory) massive building on the site of wynsors... *scratches head*

Blanchards went from Bedford Street al the way to Albert Terrace Road. iIt also went down Albert Terrace Road to Cross Bedford Street. On Albert Terrace Road it had the goods entrance which was elevated about 4 feet from the pavement due to the gradient. Just inside the goods entrance was the goods lift.

It had the whole length of the facade on Infirmary Road but each department had it's own entry door. I suspect that as the business grew in size it took over the other premises. I recall a broad staircase in one department but cannot remember which one it was.

I am sure, Blanchards was at the juntion of Albert Terrace Rd not Bedford St.

It is still a furniture shop now.

I thought that building was empty, today (wasn't it Mr Slators at one point?)

I worked in the Menswear Dept (Suits & Trousers) when Levi jeans cost £3.75p and we got 10% discount also Levi Sta-press were all the rage

I worked with a girl called Maxine ,Mr Roberts Miss Munn was in Shirtsand Sue Winslade,Mrs Finegan was upstairs in ladies ware Miss Dickenson on Habberdashery with Kathy and many more

I thought that building was empty, today (wasn't it Mr Slators at one point?)

It was Mr slators at one point. It might well still be. It regularly seems to

close down and then reopen after a few months under a different name,

still sells furniture.

I worked in the Menswear Dept (Suits & Trousers) when Levi jeans cost £3.75p and we got 10% discount also Levi Sta-press were all the rage

I worked with a girl called Maxine ,Mr Roberts Miss Munn was in Shirtsand Sue Winslade,Mrs Finegan was upstairs in ladies ware Miss Dickenson on Habberdashery with Kathy and many more

Sue Winslade? Did she have a mother in law called Winnie, who lived near Fawcett Street/ Bellefield St? that name rings bells from amongst my grandma's acquaintances.

What year did they close think it was sometime in the late 60's?

Hello there DY.

Yes i remember you though i seem to remember you as being a couple of years older than me. I was in the same school year as Eric Bennett and Neville Wright, I think you will remember them. Lots of memories of the area and the people. The yards and back to backs. The cut through fron Arthur Street to Cross Addy Street and all the other shortcuts through peoples back yards. Throw some names into the pot and i will see if i remember them.

Not much I can add - spada describes the place spot on, but just wanted to mention the other shops down on that stretch of Infirmary Road. (talking mid to late 60's)

Walking up Infirmary Road towards Hillsborough - there was a brilliant 'Swap Shop' where you could spend hours (at least it seemed that way) looking at all the stuff in the window. - I got my first 'proper' bike from there.

I am sure there was a co-op.

There was a garage...and then Langsett cycles which took up two or three shop fronts.

There were other shops and then another branch of Langsett Cycles, but I am sure they sold just toys etc.....or is my memory playing tricks?

That was about as far as a young kid dared wander on his own - on the opposite of the road (pre Kelvin flats) was all terraced houses and one or two little shops I think, but cannot remember details..except that was where I saw my first Chinese take away

Not much I can add - spada describes the place spot on, but just wanted to mention the other shops down on that stretch of Infirmary Road. (talking mid to late 60's)

Walking up Infirmary Road towards Hillsborough - there was a brilliant 'Swap Shop' where you could spend hours (at least it seemed that way) looking at all the stuff in the window. - I got my first 'proper' bike from there.

I am sure there was a co-op.

There was a garage...and then Langsett cycles which took up two or three shop fronts.

There were other shops and then another branch of Langsett Cycles, but I am sure they sold just toys etc.....or is my memory playing tricks?

That was about as far as a young kid dared wander on his own - on the opposite of the road (pre Kelvin flats) was all terraced houses and one or two little shops I think, but cannot remember details..except that was where I saw my first Chinese take away

Hiya Mark. The Swap shop was owned by a friend of my fathers and for the life of me i cannot remember his name. All i can remember was that he live at Nether Edge. Got my first air rifle from him. The Chinese was called The Coronation after the cafe that used to be there and i think he had something to do with the garage at the bottom of Gilpin Street. I always knew him as Nobby after his reply after every order, nobelong.

Hi I used to be caretaker/driver at Blanchards and lived in there house on Cross Bedford St. I think that was about 1966. The alarm went of many times but whilst we were there the police never caught anyone even though they used to send a dog and handler through the premmises before sending other policemen to look for the intruder !

The alarm went off a couple of times on bank holidays in the daytime and the police said it was due to the vibration from heavy goods vehicles on Infirmary Road.

I am sure, Blanchards was at the juntion of Albert Terrace Rd not Bedford St.

It is still a furniture shop now.

You're right bazjea , the picture on picturesheffield is showing Langton's shoe

shop at the top of Bedford Street and not Blanchards.

Langton's, that's where we got our new Whitsontide shoes from.

As you said Blanchards was the building that still stands where Mr Slater

occupies now and again. It's still open and if you look down the side of the

building on Albert Terrace Road I believe it says Blanchard in the stone work.

im certain Blanchards store was on Hillsbro bridge before Wigfalls had their shop at the same spot,perhaps in the 40s.