Does anyone live in a new build house?

Hi. Does anyone live in a new build house in sheffield etc. We are wanting to move and was considering a new house.

is it a good choice or not??

Hi Beth29,

We've (hubby and I) been living in a new-build apartment for about 4 months now... and it's great! Old homes with their damp problems, subsidence issues etc sound like far too much hassle! In addition, you don't have to waste time removing/covering other peoples dodgy decorating!

We had a couple of minor snags when we first moved in, but the problems were sorted out by the builder very quickly. In addition to that, it's nice to have the security of the NHBC certificate in case anything goes wrong.

The only downside of our new build was that we bought our home off-plan and the build was so delayed that we had to wait for over a year before we were able to move in!

However, we love living in a new-build home so much that when we buy a house in a couple of years, we'll be going new-build yet again!

Lib1

I've been a fan of old houses for a long time so was stunned that I fell in love with a 2 year old property when house hunting earlier this year.

I'm soon to be leaving a 1904 terrace for a shiny new world of en-suites, integrated kitchen appliances and heat efficient construction.

Can't wait!

My house was brand new when I moved into it (over 5 years ago now!)

I never thought I'd go for new build over traditional, but it was in the right area at the right price, and with off road parking for two cars. Off road parking is pretty much unheard of in many areas of Sheffield (Crookes, Hillsborough etc), so this was a massive bonus for me.

What I didn't realise was just how much work there would be to do on it before I was fully settled. I had to carpet/put flooring down, and that took a few weeks after moving in, so I was living out of boxes. And it was incredibly dusty! I also had to put up curtain rails, towel rails, toilet roll holders and things like that - things which you pretty much take for granted in older properties.

Nail pops have been the biggest irritant - where the bit of plaster covering the plasterboard nail falls off, leaving a hole in the wall/ceiling. I still get the occasional one, though they've slowed down a bit now, and I've got a lot niftier with filling them!

The garden is another thing you might have to consider - mine was a wasteland of mud and stringy grass, which took a while to sort out (mainly 'cos I'm not really a fan of gardening). Good opportunity to plan it exactly as you want it though, if that's your thing.

Having said all that, I do like my house very much, and would be happy to buy new again. I think a lot depends on the builders and the quality of their finish - some come ready carpeted, or with the gardens already done, so might be worth spending a bit more to avoid some of the hassle!

Our first house was a new one...we were tempted by the £99 move in fees, carpets, NHBC cert, blank canvas decor and the fact that no essential works should result from a mortgage survey (as happened with my sister a couple of years before).

However, we suffered a 'snagging' list as long as your arm after moving in!

The central heating system constantly broke down to our cost as only covered by them for the initial 12 mths. It required repairs at least twice a year the heating engineer told us the boilers in the properties were cheap and nasty and bought in a job lot for a few pence and would be cheaper to install a new one to the tune of £1000!

Although we found our neighbours friendly etc we didn't realise until we moved in just HOW overlooked we were and also the front gardens weren't walled so the neighbours kids would just cartwheel across your lawns right under your noses and the noise in the lounge when the neighbours children were playing outside was stressful when you just wanted to come home and switch off!

The soundproofing in the properties was very poor...even in a detached!

The shared service road to 4 properties drives were a nightmare...we were the last house...bad move so would have to clear other kids bikes, scooters, skipping ropes, hula hoops etc just to get through to park on our own drive after a long day at work!!

Best thing we ever did has sell up and buy a traditional house, with solid double skin walls, walled and gated front garden etc etc

Everybody has differant experiences but on paper this plot looked great in reality it was hell for us for 5 years!!

:(

the thing with new builds is that they pinch parts off rooms etc to fit in down stairs toilets, en suites etc.

then they put small furniture in show homes to make it look bigger.

also it takes you longer for the market price to catch up with a premium you pay for new homes.

they are good for an "everything has been done" feel but don't have the character of an older home (obviously)

also because you get a smaller plot you ususally get a smaller garden.

i would go for older property even with the maintanance involved (which is ok if you keep on top of if)

hope this helps.:)

I can't find the thread now but a while ago on here somebody posted part of a survey done on one of the new homes up at Norfolk Park. It didn't make particulary good reading. According to that surveyor there were some pretty major problems. I know if I was to get a new build I would get a full survey done now. Always assumed you wouldn't need to in the past.

Originally posted by Gnome

I can't find the thread now but a while ago on here somebody posted part of a survey done on one of the new homes up at Norfolk Park. It didn't make particulary good reading. According to that surveyor there were some pretty major problems. I know if I was to get a new build I would get a full survey done now. Always assumed you wouldn't need to in the past.

My new build home, at Norfolk Park, has had a couple of problems; One of the windows leaked when it rained, the balconey door didn't open properly and another window didn't close properly. All were repaired promplty when I reported them.

Hi Beth29,

We actually built our house, and never regretted having a new house,for a start to can see what you've got, there's no nasty surprises lurking under the wallpaper, or under the carpet,you have a N.H.B.C. for ten years, your central heating is new, your roof shouldn't leak, you have the luxury or en-suite ect., My son summed it up once, he said I don't want a house thats older than me. Really though it's each unto their own, but personally I can't see the attraction of old fireplaces that need blackleading

Originally posted by gswift

the thing with new builds is that they pinch parts off rooms etc to fit in down stairs toilets, en suites etc.

then they put small furniture in show homes to make it look bigger.

also it takes you longer for the market price to catch up with a premium you pay for new homes.

they are good for an "everything has been done" feel but don't have the character of an older home (obviously)

also because you get a smaller plot you ususally get a smaller garden.

i would go for older property even with the maintanance involved (which is ok if you keep on top of if)

hope this helps.:)

I agree. The build quality also seems better with older houses in terms of the materials used (no paper walls or hollow doors for example).

Originally posted by Lib1

However, we love living in a new-build home so much that when we buy a house in a couple of years, we'll be going new-build yet again!

You're loving Parklands so much you're planning on moving already. :heyhey::hihi: