The scariest scenes from films or tv

I know its quite tame compared to the horror films of today, but when I was little the Alfred Hithcock films were very scary, especially in The Birds when the guy is sat there with his eyes pecked out :help:

I cant watch horror movies nowadays Im too much of a coward :roll:

When I was a child I was terrified of the bit in Jaws when the guy's head emerges underneath the boat

When I was younger I once stayed up to watch a horror film, this would be mid seventies.

It was all about a man who went to visit an art gallery and there were two pictures in a room, one was of a crucifixion, the other one was of a man peacefully sitting in a boat on a lake .

The man's life became difficult and each day he visited the gallery, I think he got a wish allowed or something, so he went to the gallery at night, looked towards the picture of the peaceful lake scene and wished himself into it, unfortunately the curator had swapped the pictures round, and then the next day you got a close up of the crucifixion picture and it was this man on the cross and you could hear his anguished moans.It sounds quite tame by today's standards but it has stayed with me all these years !!!

Ghostwatch. Especially the bit where a fleeting glimpse of Pipes the ghost is caught by a panning camera.

The X-Files had a few stand-out scenes. The ones I remember were more disturbing than outright scary: Leonard Betts, the cancer-eating man, telling Scully she has what he needs; the inbred hicks burying alive the mutant baby; the fluke man. *shudder*

ETA: ooh, and the possessed plastic surgeon carrying out a, shall we say, rather extensive bout of liposuction. That one was a bit grim.

Edited by Guest

When I was a child I was terrified of the bit in Jaws when the guy's head emerges underneath the boat

Yeah that one got me too ;)

I also remember a one-off TV show from the mid-80s I think about Rabies coming to Britain. I can remember that the theme tune was 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' but it was sung in a way that terrified me at that age. The music was scarier than the show itself.

Edit: This was it. The Mad Death.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241114/

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

The scene in Polanski's "Repulsion", where hands are reaching out of the wall to grab Catherine Deneuve used to make me shudder. And, practically the whole of Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" saw me hiding behind the seat in front. Nowadays, it's usually the C4 tv news that scares me.

Friday the 13th, the original 1st one, i saw it when i was 13, and the end, where it was all nice and calm on the lake when she was in the boat, then, OMG, you nearly wet yourself :hihi:

The first time you see the vampire in Salem's Lot starring David Soul.

The NEWS. Spending cuts. And the bank bailout. And the increasing education fees for ever increasing amounts of students in a market with fewer and fewer jobs.

The NEWS. Spending cuts. And the bank bailout. And the increasing education fees for ever increasing amounts of students in a market with fewer and fewer jobs.

What is your problem? Do you do anything except complain?

The first time you see the vampire in Salem's Lot starring David Soul.
Me also, especially the scene where the younger brother is scratching on the window.