Pond near Asda Handsworth

Spent from 5.30 am till 13.00 down there yesterday and no sign of rambo but was pulling out fish all day and some lovely crusians too

Hi batman24

I no longer live in the Handsworth area, but am disturbed at the fact that someone with a gun is acting in a threatening manner and also folks are being obstructed from walking down a public right of way.

Both situations need resolving and that is by the individual with the gun being identified and then reported to the Police.

The fellow who obstructs passage down that right of way must be reported to the relevant council dept.

You Handsworth folks who frequent the areas concerned are going to have to make an effort to improve your quality of life

Where is this pond? I used to walk that way regularly. I know the houses where the path starts too. Very intimidating.

Walk down the path towards the railway then at the end of the first field turn right wander down to the brow and the look over to your left for reeds at the bottom of this field and its there.

any idea who owns them ?

i think it might be outo kumpo but not sure mate

i know the pond, i live on waverley lane, the man with the shot gun is a 'friend' of the farmer who rents the fields, i know him because i bumped his car by accident, anyway his name is 'bud'. I believe he stocks the pond but doesnt own it, the farmer is really nice he lives in wales (the local wales) and he has a record of people who he lets shoot on his land probably 'bud' is one of those guys. Loads of people go fishing there we see them all the time, loads of fish, i don't think 'bud' has any right over it, the land is owned by the duke of norfolk.

Little update been down there since 6am again this morning and had a great morning pulling out all over the place. Also spoke to one of the guys that does vermin control (scary when a guy walks upto you with a shotgun loaded in hand and 2 staffies) anyways he said Bud has had his gun license taken off him for assault so thats a relief and also that the pond doesnt belong to anyone so i can fish it but to take my rubbish home.

It is a public right of way and still is to this day. A public right of way sign was erected to mark this. In the past like you when passing down that lane we had been threatened by Alsatian dog's and even goats.

Is this the same one as the path that leads up from the bridge that goes over the railway track, I once got a bit lost down there and ended up having to walk past a house with 2 rather nasty looking dogs tied up outside, my dog was too scared to walk past them and the owner just stood looking at me as if to say you should not be walking past here, it was clearly labelled as a public foot path but someone had tried to block the path with a fence and put a pained on sign that said private keep out

The pond you are talking about down Waverley lane used to be a small stream that ran through the wood and under the culvert. this was blocked many years ago and a new culvert was put in to the right of the pond.If you follow the stream up the wood it goes under the field.If you walk up the field in the small valley you will come to what is known locally as the sheep dip(now over grown)the water comes from the old Quarry Road stone Quarry where Barrets are now putting the new houses up.The PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY on finchwell road .Go down finchwell road past the old pit yard just before the two houses (Deep Dale Villas)to your right is the old Finchwell(waterwell)The headstone from this well is in Handsworth Historical Society Museam behind the church,Go past the houses and you come to the footbridge over the railway when you reach the other side turn left and you come back to Waverley lane where the pond is