Pond near Asda Handsworth

what would you catch crusian on?

used to be pee's n berries lol but corn,meat or pellet would be ok.

ps try and keep your hook bait near the bottom if your float fishing for carp,use a plummet or swan to shot gauge your depth but it is silty on the bottom if i remember rightly

Edited by jrowl

ps the crusian in there where great and there's not many places in the UK where you can catch wild crusian carp as most are stock fish.

have you seen the little pond near the airport just at the side of the i think 3rd round about if you were coming from car craft heading to morrisons, its full of rudd roach perch crusian and something really big as well that i havent been able to catch yet but been told its a catfish, the ponds only a bout 9.5mx4m but its really good. there are also 2 other little ponds next to it filled with very littel crusian an ghost carp.

used to be pee's n berries lol but corn,meat or pellet would be ok.

should that be peas'n'berries or do you pee on the berries?:D:D

I wouldn't fish there. Lets just say the farmers not the friendliest type of person?

James.

have you seen the little pond near the airport just at the side of the i think 3rd round about if you were coming from car craft heading to morrisons, its full of rudd roach perch crusian and something really big as well that i havent been able to catch yet but been told its a catfish, the ponds only a bout 9.5mx4m but its really good. there are also 2 other little ponds next to it filled with very littel crusian an ghost carp.

any idea who owns them ?

I lived close to the location being referred to between 1970 and 1979.

I walked and did some early morning runs and the pond during that period wasn't there.

Where the pond is situated I believe there was a drain which ran under the railway.

The pond was formed due to that drain being blocked and never cleared.

Regarding the individual who wanders about with a gun, does he live in the house on Finchwell Lane down from the old pit entrance ?

He needs reporting quick sharp !!

Many years ago, I used to run down Finchwell Lane and continue down a track which eventually brought you to a pedestrian bridge over the railway. A guy from that house threatened me with a very large Alsatian, said it wasn't a right of way, which I didn't believe, but I backed away and ran back up the lane.

Never did get to find out whether or not that is a public right of way down there.

This has probably been mentioned before, but does anyone remember the entrance to the drift mine, situated on the right of Waverley Lane, down from the cottages, just before you went over the old iron bridge. The entrance was barred by some very heavy metal gates, with the words High Hazels ( name of the coal seam ) above the gates.

I was told by an ex miner from Handsworth pit that it was a 45 degree incline, a mile in length. They used to have a race up there after the end of the Friday shift, last one bought the round of drinks.

Like i said i used to fish it years ago but just giving you the heads up for when rambo comes with his 12 bore btw i was about 28 when this happened so its not like trying to scare kids off he was a idiot,he still backed off when i asked him to put his money where his mouth was.

As far as I'm aware the land was owned by the Duke of Norfolk and rented out for agriculture use, currently farmed by B & J Farms, Low Laithe Farm, Manor Road, Wales, Sheffield, S26 5PR. For a number of years there has been shooting going off in those fields especially after harvest, sometimes 4x4's can be seen parked up in those fields. Don't know if the guy is from the above farm or elsewhere having permission to shoot there.

Many years ago, I used to run down Finchwell Lane and continue down a track which eventually brought you to a pedestrian bridge over the railway. A guy from that house threatened me with a very large Alsatian, said it wasn't a right of way, which I didn't believe, but I backed away and ran back up the lane.

Never did get to find out whether or not that is a public right of way down there.

It is a public right of way and still is to this day. A public right of way sign was erected to mark this. In the past like you when passing down that lane we had been threatened by Alsatian dog's and even goats.