The strange things cyclists do

We have progressed from pedal power to the combustian engine . Get with the times .:hihi::hihi:

I'd rather get to work on time thanks. :hihi:

We have progressed from pedal power to the combustian engine . Get with the times .:hihi::hihi:

Oh dear, another glaring similarity Derek, you haven't changed.

The world has progressed since the days of pedal power - cycles are outdated and cyclists are just a dying protest against progression
Edited by Stan Tamudo

No the cyclist wasn't there, the cyclist was maybe 5-6 car lengths back when the bus started to pull out. The traffic was static (apart from the bus moving out) so the cyclist soon "undercut" the static traffic but instead of stopping having seen the bus pulling out decided to carry on next to the bus as it was pulling out. He was very lucky.

Do you mean, "the traffic was stationary apart from the bike that was proceeding in the carriageway"?

Unless the cycle was stationary when the bus started to pull out, and then set off and road towards it...

I think the strangest thing cyclists do is not be safe on the roads.

Motorists spend a lot on their cars to make them roadworthy with yearly MOTs.

I hate having to share a road with cyclists that don't have appropriate safety gear such as

Lights or reflectors and a helmet - in the least. If I need safety features on my car to use the roads, why don't cyclists?

You wear a helmet whilst driving your car? :suspect:

...and on his way to buy food for his cat that liked nothing better than to go to the toilet in his neighbour's garden...

and he told a kind stranger who helped him find his cat not to go to Meadowhall last week because something bad had happened. :hihi:

I don't agree. I have a very good bike and I know which bikes are good and which bikes are crap. It says something about a cyclist circumstances when they are running about on a 'Boardman' say, as opposed to someone else on Cannondale.

But then I'm a snob.

Ah, y'mean that you have more money than bike knowledge? ;) To be honest who cares as long as you're out on your pushbike and having fun. Bike snobs are so last year but Chris Boardman and his Scouse plastic will always be godlike.

the only people who still ride bicycles are old Hippys and students . :thumbsup:

hippie bike

:hihi::hihi::D

You really are lowering the art of trolling.

Edited by Tony

We progrerssed to the internal combustion engine long before we became so obsessive about its use (although the warning signs were there in 50s USA)

Since rediscovering cycling I realise that I use my car more like we used the car when I was growing up. The week's "big shop" was done with a shopping trolley. Visiting relatives was done on foot on a nice day or by public transport if the weather wasn't so good, or for those who lived a little farther away. The public transport was cleaner, quieter and cheaper however.

The car came out for days in the country/seaside, or when a larger purchase needed transporting.

We had the internal combustion engine then...we just didn't feel the need to use whenever we needed to go and buy a second class stamp (although my father insisted he would give up driving if petrol ever reached £2 per gallon!)

How did we slip into such a reliant state of mind and abandon our other forms of transport to be regarded as "peasant wagons" or mere toys (as a whole, sure there are issues with more rural areas etc)?

I've done it...I was car-bound for many years...I slipped into the trap just the same. Took some effort to realise that it was a trap and whilst owning a car gives a certain freedom, one does not need to use the car daily to retain that freedom.

Cycling's all well & good but it's ridiculrseee when they have them stupid fluorescent jackets with "zero emissions" on get over yourself eediots.

Cycling's all well & good but it's ridiculrseee when they have them stupid fluorescent jackets with "zero emissions" on get over yourself eediots.

You are aware that the stupid fluorescent jackets are in the hope that dozy car drivers might actually notice us rather than a fashion statement?

The council were handing them out about 18 months back. They were hanging around at junctions on my commuting route stopping all the cyclists and making them take one.

They don't have zero emissions, they still have a co2 output.

One of the most dangerous places I have ever driven was the centre of Cambridge, because of the sheer volume of cyclists.