Upwell Street and surrounding 'Wells'

Tried, but in vain, to discover the history of the street names around Grimesthorpe. The Junction of Upwell Street and Holywell Road are the bottom of roads that run into the area. Surrounding streets in the area are Southwell Rd, Birdwell Rd. Was there originally a well in this area? I have an incredible vague recollection of a 'well dressing' but am unsure if it took place in this area.

Also, does anyone have knowledge of the naming of Robey Street, Popple Street, Lloyd Str? Here I have a recollection of these roads being named after popular stage artists of the time. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I vaguely remember the Grimesthorpe pump being decorated and a Greasy Pole outside the Bowling Green Pub but I do not have any details.

Maybe this post may jolt someone's knowledge and let us know.

Hope this helps? PopT

Hi ZanebA, if you look on the thread 'any one from Grimesthorpe' I'm sure someone will come up with an answer for you.

Upwell Street was originally called Bagley Lane when it followed the course of Bagley Dyke. As Grimesthorpe became industrialised there was a need for more housing with the floor of the valley being the first place to build. Bagley Lane became High Street for a while. Holywell, Southwell and Birdwell Roads were the first to be built off High Street, their names being chosen from towns and villages in England ending with 'well'. Birdwell is near Barnsley. High Street was renamed Upwell Street to go along with the theme.

Later came Skelwith, Brathay, Hawkshead, Rothay and Wansfell, chosen from places in the Lake District.

Tried, but in vain, to discover the history of the street names around Grimesthorpe. The Junction of Upwell Street and Holywell Road are the bottom of roads that run into the area. Surrounding streets in the area are Southwell Rd, Birdwell Rd. Was there originally a well in this area? I have an incredible vague recollection of a 'well dressing' but am unsure if it took place in this area.

Also, does anyone have knowledge of the naming of Robey Street, Popple Street, Lloyd Str? Here I have a recollection of these roads being named after popular stage artists of the time. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Southwell Rd & Holywell Rd were built for the trustees of Henry Unwin, Southwell Rd was named after a place of the same name in Nottinghamshire and the WELL theme was retained after the already established Upwell St & Birdwell St all this info can be found in PETER HARVEYS STREET NAMES OF SHEFFIELD

I vaguely remember the Grimesthorpe pump being decorated and a Greasy Pole outside the Bowling Green Pub but I do not have any details.

Maybe this post may jolt someone's knowledge and let us know.

Hope this helps? PopT

I used The old bowling green pub in the sixties they would talk about the greasy pole and the Grimsthorpe Fate at whit holiday also there was the grimesthorpe walk and an old character called Albert Parr who waited until the competitors had all gone then jumped on the cicular bus and droped off near the winning post he did this for years and they always give him a prize

I was born in a house at the bottom of Holywell road.It had a natural spring or well in the cellar, as this was just down from St Thomas's church,I always thought it could have been part of the 'Holy well' from times past.

Robey Street was named after George Robey ( The Prime Minister of Mirth) Dont know about Popple though. Lloyd Street after Marie Lloyd ( recent play on tv about her starred Jesse Wallace)

At the junction of Brightside Lane and Hawke Street stood the Wellington Inn now demolished, we used to play in the back yard of the pub, the Landlord used to tell us to keep away from the wall dividing the pub from what i now Forgemesters wall as there was a disused well there. It was covered over and i never saw the well itself but that what he said.

I think popple street was named after the builder. My grandparents lived at 271 owler lane and there is a head plaque on the wall to mr popple. The yard at the rear of my grandparents connected to popple street.

I think popple street was named after the builder. My grandparents lived at 271 owler lane and there is a head plaque on the wall to mr popple. The yard at the rear of my grandparents connected to popple street.

Abraham Popple (Builder) did indeed live at 271 Owler Lane in the 1880s. You will notice that the house is somewhat taller and wider than the rest in the terrace, a common practice when the builder intended one for himself. He was declared bankrupt in 1883.

Plaque is HERE

Edited by handypandy
add link

From the book 'Street Names of Sheffield' by Peter Harvey.....

Upwell Street is not listed but.....

Upwell Lane,4, was originally called Coldwell Lane, from a well called Cold Well, nearby. Why it was changed is not clear.

Holywell Road, 4 and 9, was built, (with Southwell Road) for Henry Unwin's trustees in the 1890s. Both roads appear to have been named in an attempt to continue the 'well' theme already established by Upwell Street and Birdwell Road. When it was first built, Holywell Road was only a short road off Upwell Street.

Southwell Road seems to have been named after the place called Southwell in Nottinghamshire.

Birdwell Road was built on Earl Fitzwilliam's land and named after the village of Birdwell, near Barnsley. The Earl owned land at Birdwell.

Popple Street, 4, after Abraham Popple, builder and contractor in the late 19th century. He lived in Janson Street and built houses and shops in Page Hall Road, Owler Lane and Popple Street.

Robey Street and Lloyd Street are listed 'Not known'.

Presumably this link shows the pump, which I know well and is still there, is on the 'well' in question. 'scuse the pun :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y02944&pos=7&action=zoom&id=49839

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s33404&pos=27&action=zoom&id=107310

Edited by PeterR

That's interesting about 271 owler lane and popple. My family have a long association with the house and area. My great grandfather was a bricklayer who worked on the building in the area in late Victorian times. My grandmother was born in the house in 1903 and then my dad in 1927. My grandparents rented the house for many years buying it for £500 in the early 1970s. The moved to firth park road in the early 1980s I have fond memories of the house and area but both look a sorry state now