Firth park grammar school

I went there between 1961 and 1968. Hated the first year. Things gradually got better as time went on until in later years quite enjoyed it.. I remember most of the teachers mentioned in the other posts. Some with affection, others were nasty bullies but I suppose that was the accepted form in that era. It is only later in life that you realise how good the education was and how much knowledge was handed out.I still consider myself lucky to have attended and to have had opportunities opened up which I and others from a similar background would never have got elsewhere.

I went to FPGS from 1948 to 1954. Just happened on this site and read a bunch of posts. Knew Spike Johnson well. I'm pretty sure he invented all the ghost stories. He told many in his History classroom in the tower building. I was taught by Joe Over, Holy Joe Fawcett, Mr Parry (I sang in his special choir), Gags Gagan, Drags Draycott, Prods Rhodes, Mr Belton, Bunny Warren, Joe Eker. I remember Duke Wetherill, Arcy, Ken Bown. Classmates included Gerald Brooks (studied Russian, became an interpreter, and was later imprisoned in the Soviet Union before being swapped for Russian spies in England). I remember Mike Elwood, Harry Cousins, Jack Tingle, Don Cartwright, Roy Palmer, John Haddock, Barry Oldham and many others from the 1952 whole school photo which sits on my bedroom wall. I'm on the top row, fourth from the right end. I havn't changed a bit in the last 60 years.

I was there from Sept 1963 until June 1970 and on the whole enjoyed the experience. Three girls joined the sixth form when I was in the upper sixth so September 1969 I reckon. I remember - Pauline, Elaine and , was it Pat ? - how they ever got any work done I will never know. Also a form of second years included girls I think.

I was there 1959-1964 in Beatty house - had a great time - wouldn't have missed for the world`-`a great laugh!!

Do you remeber the song about Mr moke

Do you know our Mister Moke

grand old chap ,he´ll take a jock

see him coming dpown Barnsley road

riding on a donkey

Hay Ho away we go donkey riding

Donkey riding,

Hay ho away we go riding on a donkey

FPGS - 1945 to 1950

I can add a couple of names to Argon's list:

Geoff Taylor - geography

Buffalo Hill - maths (used to send me for his fags from Firth Park at lunchtimes. I usually got one for my troubles!)

Hammer Harris - geography

Thelma Wyatt - biology

Doc Machin - physics

Bertha Zeiyer - history (not sure of surname spelling)

Moke Hipkins - english

Charlie Crownshaw - woodwork and sport

(Bye the bye, Argon - PROD Rhodes not PRODS)

I also remember the school tuckshop where they sold Hulley's lovely ice cream and there was a BBC radio broadcast by the school choir when one of the songs was "Sweet Lass of Richmond Hill" to which the BBC announcer added "Which, by the way, is the Richmond Hill in Yorkshire".

I am a researcher looking for anyone who was at Firth Park Grammar in 1937 and remembers an exchange visit of a party of German youths.

Jonpax, did you take School Certificate or Higher School Certificate? Did know anyone a year below you in school if so did r would they taken school certificate or O-level?

If only the mods will leave this thread alone and not merge it with the "other" firth park school thread......we could then have a thread about the school when it was just that.."Firth Park Grammar School for boys".

There is a website here based on the old days.

It doesn't have a discussion forum though.

I was at Firth Park from 1962 -1967 and some of the teachers names already mentioned were still there.

Joe Eker ( the blackboard rubber thrower)

Spike of course..everyones favourite teacher.

The Duke.

Mr Parry who first introduced me to classical music.

Others not mentioned....

Daz Smith

Pod Harrison

And the head at that time "H.J.S Wilson".

I still have my school reports..most saying "must do better".

Mr. Oliver - Geography

Mr. Hughes - ?

Mr Wetherall - Deputy Head

Mr. T.C. Woods - English

Mr. Pallister - PE

Mr. McKay - PE

Carol - Secreatary

Mr Pascoe - RE

Mr. Bullivent - RE

Mr. Bown - Spanish

Mr. Haywood - Russian

Mr. Silas Cook - English

Mr. Hawksworth - Metalwork

Mr. Paget - Woodwork

There was also a lady English teacher.

I recall being caned after being caught smoking out of school on the speech day holiday !!

Whilst there in 1964ish I got a tattoo on my forearm and was taken to show it to the other teachers.

Edited by harvey19

stepperry from jonpax:

far as I recall I took the last of the School Cert exams in 1950. I'm pretty sure the following year saw the introduction of GCEs.

harvey.....some names their I remember from 1962/1967.

Wetherall was still deputy head.

Jock Mckay... P.E.and Maths if I remember correctly.

Mr paget...woodwork.

Queering your Mr T. C. Woods. (English)

In my time it was Dr. F. T. Wood......a well educated man.

I remember someone defaced his name on the door to his room to read "Dr. I. F. T. Wood" (driftwood, lol)..The name kind of stuck as a nickname.