Sheffield Traditions

It was thr first day of September yesterday, which reminded me of an old Sheffield custom of saying "rabbits" on the first day of any month containing the letter R. I've no idea why and for what purpose. I always thought eating chips with gravy was a Sheffield thiing. I love them, but was surprised and pleased to find them popular in restaurants in Northern Maine.

Could this be to do with the old fashioned way of, you only shot, killed, rabbits when there is a 'R' in the month cus the rest of the time they are mating and bringing up their young?

What about first footin by someone with black hair and a lump of coal in their hand at midnight on New Years Eve? We allus did it in Sheffield but they'd not heard of it in this part of East Anglia

And a twist of salt.

Could this be to do with the old fashioned way of, you only shot, killed, rabbits when there is a 'R' in the month cus the rest of the time they are mating and bringing up their young?
That sounds reasonable.I never thought of that.:)

My Dad once showed me some old pennies they used to put on the tram lines to bend them?? Did anybody else do this or still do this?
We used to do this when I was a kid, when and if we could affford to do it. A penny was a fair bit of money way back. You could buy five woodbines for tuppence, and did.

My Dad once showed me some old pennies they used to put on the tram lines to bend them?? Did anybody else do this or still do this?

that wasnt an ongoing thing..just on the last night of the old tram system, some say the last tram service never touched the rails that night from traveling on all the pennies on the tracks

A mixture of Sheffield traditions that sadly appear to be fast disappearing !

Pride in having a job, working hard at it to earn a wage and look after your family.

Too many folks now don't want to work, their pride has gone and the family is of secondary

importance in their life.

Respecting folks, especially the elderly, even though they may be difficult to deal with.

Some folks haven't got a clue as to what respect is all about and urinating on an elderly person ( refer Star, Wed 1/9 ) shows the depth to which people have sunk.

Pride in your immediate environment. There was plenty of that once. Remember folks sweeping up outside the house, polishing the step and the fittings on the door.

Filthy litter strewn areas were once never seen. When I see litter around where I live, then I pick up what I can manage.

The local Bobby who was able to give some low life a clip around the ear.

Life was once good in Sheffield because of the tradition of how people lived their lives. Life is still good, but for how much longer.

I'm glad I don't live in your Sheffield.

no matter where you are in the world - inspecting the cutlery you're about to eat with

Brilliant!

(And being really pleased if it is 'Made in Sheffield')

Brilliant!

(And being really pleased if it is 'Made in Sheffield')

Lol, I thought that was just me. I agree with most of the contributions on this thread. What about thre tradition of going round to the neighbours to show them your new clothes on whit sunday and expecting them to give you money, which they did mostly. I dont suppose it goes on now, but I dont believe it was practiced nationwide.

Speaking to strangers as in starting conversations like you know them,is definately unique to Sheffield, not really a tradition but nice all the same.

We had a good tradition that is now gone The Students Boat Race.

Rag Day,Twicker.

Mucky Dripping.

One of my Mothers neighbours once came running in the house and said you will never believe it but mrs ........ down the road has put a white sheet on the washing line and it is Good Fiday, She was horrified..

Lol, I thought that was just me. I agree with most of the contributions on this thread. What about thre tradition of going round to the neighbours to show them your new clothes on whit sunday and expecting them to give you money, which they did mostly. I dont suppose it goes on now, but I dont believe it was practiced nationwide.

Speaking to strangers as in starting conversations like you know them,is definately unique to Sheffield, not really a tradition but nice all the same.

There's threads about Whitsuntide traditions on here somewhere.

As for speaking to strangers. I took my OH to Sheffield last week and he was amazed at the number of strangers in shops, cafes and the tram stops who spoke to us. I think he got a bit worried that a couple of strange men spoke to me...........

my tradition is sunday roast and all the trimmings.

five and twenty to six, gi or, Sunday drivers, and unfinished areas.