Pyjama Jump - What memories do you have of it?

I don't think it was "banned" as such, more that the police and emergency services told the Uni that they weren't able to control it or guarantee safety anymore because of the drunkenness and general mayhem it caused and so the Rag Committee decided to stop running it.

that was the line we were given when we were in the 1st year.

the last pyjama jump was academic year 1996-1997. although im sure i remember being told about somebody falling under a tram or something- may very well have been hearsay, mind you from some of the stories above i reckon it could easily be true!!!!!

the only reason i know this is because i started in 1997- *sighs*, i feel old now! lol

sophie

x

Hi

I have fond memories of this final Pyjama Jump in 1996 but I had the fortunate position of being one of the organisers.

If I remember it was banned due to a few idiots climbing onto a moving tram, but it was a great night.

My memories of pyjama jump when I was a student are of being paid twice as much as normal to work in the pub serving beer to everyone else who was getting drunk and making an idiot of themselves.

I do remember Flora the Union president being caught in the peace gardens fountain and her having her picture in the Sun afterwards

Just a lot of awful students getting p****d and acting up. Nothing to write home about!

Edited by Frankie Rage

mmmm yeah the drunken night out, getting off with everyone and anyone and all for Sheffield charities - great night out

The vomiting over anyone and everyone, having to pay bar staff double to put up with it, I used to work at The Top Rank when they had the Pyjama Jump in the '70's. Fecking awful it was if you had to work around it! We hated it!

well sorry you feel that way Frankie but you could always have done the easy thing and kept your miserable ass away from it on that night

well sorry you feel that way Frankie but you could always have done the easy thing and kept your miserable ass away from it on that night

Up yours! :)

I had no choice, I had to work that damn awful night - or go sick from work!

Edited by Frankie Rage

well at least you made some cash then Frankie. I always went out and got ****** and had a good time as did most other students.

I loved all of the ones i went to and they should bring it back.

well at least you made some cash then Frankie. I always went out and got ****** and had a good time as did most other students.

I loved all of the ones i went to and they should bring it back.

A lot of people had a good time, I'll admit that. But it was chaotic and I saw people getting hurt, we had far more incidents at The Rank on that night than any other. Some people went over the top and used it as an excuse for some really bad behaviour that wasn't in anybody's interests. But that was the '70's - maybe it was worse then. Btw I was in my early twenties then so quite sympathetic to people having a drink and a good time! :)

yeah i was in my 20's too but a very different person back then, and the 90's were pretty good laugh but i never saw anyone get hurt or heard of it.