Whats wrong with our budgie ??

Can anyone give me some advice please. We have a male budgie who up to an hour ago was fine. We first saw him sitting in the corner of the cage not moving. We thought he was dying. My daughter tapped the cage and he got up onto his perch. Now for the last hour he has been changing from being alert on his perch to sitting in the corner of his cage. When he is alert he chirps and seems fine , then he goes to the corner and goes to sleep . Any ideas what could be happening ?. Thanks :help:

I was going to say the pets section might be better, but you have posted there as well.

Might he just be tired?

I was going to say the pets section might be better, but you have posted there as well.

Might he just be tired?

He never goes to the floor of his cage . He always sleeps on his perch . Think i will take him to the vet .

Have you changed anything recently e.g. his food, where his cage is located?

Let him sleep if that's what he wants....and give him some quiet time. Hope he's ok.....

Difficult to say without any other symptoms... is there anything in the air that might harm him? air freshener, incense, deoderant etc? How old is he?

Oh and is he definitely a he?

Thanks for your replies. He is a he ( Blue above his beak ). Nothings changed with his food or position , no air fresherners . Its so strange , he is 7 years old and has never done anything like this before.

birds that usually are sleeping and sitting on the bottom of the cage are usually unwell, all birds will go to the bottom of the cage when wanting some food bits that have dropped down but not go to sleep, birds that are lethargic and huddled asleep in the bottom are usually unwell is his feathers puffed up

birds that usually are sleeping and sitting on the bottom of the cage are usually unwell, all birds will go to the bottom of the cage when wanting some food bits that have dropped down but not go to sleep, birds that are lethargic and huddled asleep in the bottom are usually unwell is his feathers puffed up

Hi . Yes the feathers are puffed up when he is in the bottom of the cage. Now he is back on his perch chirping and preening himself with no sign of illness. Cant understand what is going on .

As someone else said -fluffed up feathers are a sign of a poorly bird, it's their body's way of preserving heat and energy. Is the cage positioned near a draft at all or does anyone in the house smoke? I would be keeping a very close eye on your bird as once they start going downhill they can die very quickly. Do you have any egg food you can try him with to see if that boosts him up a bit?

As someone else said -fluffed up feathers are a sign of a poorly bird, it's their body's way of preserving heat and energy. Is the cage positioned near a draft at all or does anyone in the house smoke? I would be keeping a very close eye on your bird as once they start going downhill they can die very quickly. Do you have any egg food you can try him with to see if that boosts him up a bit?

He is fine at the moment no sign of anything wrong. He is not in a drafty place and no one smokes. Can you tell me what egg food is please. Thanks.