First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

Lin Hongs was the first thats the one next to Highfields Library.Back in the 50s on saturday night we all used to drive out to the Lathkildale Hotel passed Bakewell to watch Eddie Falcon and the Tremors;it was the place to go then;lots of crumpet.After closing it was like a race track back to Lin Hongs you had to queue down the street to get in.Favourite meal curried chicken and chips 5 bob.Fond memories.

:huh::rolleyes:Lin Hongs was the first thats the one next to Highfields Library.Back in the 50s on saturday night we all used to drive out to the Lathkildale Hotel passed Bakewell to watch Eddie Falcon and the Tremors;it was the place to go then;lots of crumpet.After closing it was like a race track back to Lin Hongs you had to queue down the street to get in.Favourite meal curried chicken and chips 5 bob.Fond memories. Edited by old tup
repeated thread

Hi old tup

Lin Hongs was called the Golden Tiger when I used to go in the 1970's. Used to get a good meal in there.There was also the Silver Palace at the bottom of London Road next to the Hermitage. First one I ever went in was The Rickshaw in 1959. Had their special and it was all laid out on a bed of fried lettuce. I thought it was really strange but it was good. Also used to go in the Golden Dragon up the side from Woolworths and the Canary on Charles Street.

Hi old tup

Lin Hongs was called the Golden Tiger when I used to go in the 1970's. Used to get a good meal in there.There was also the Silver Palace at the bottom of London Road next to the Hermitage. First one I ever went in was The Rickshaw in 1959. Had their special and it was all laid out on a bed of fried lettuce. I thought it was really strange but it was good. Also used to go in the Golden Dragon up the side from Woolworths and the Canary on Charles Street.

I am suprised that no one has mentioned the one on Surrey Street corner which turned jnto the Concordin the mid 60's. It was there for years before that firstly as Hudsons which served good English food, then a name change to Hudsons Chop Suey Restuerant in the late 50's' It was definately one of the first in not the first other early contenders The Rickshaw, Canary and Zing Vaa in town and the Bluebird at Hillsborough corner above the shops.

Hi mickowl91

Can't place the one on Surrey Street (it's a long time ago). There was also one on London Road just above the Disc Jockey. It was taken over by a German woman late '59 turned it into a coffee bar and called it The Continental.

I am suprised that no one has mentioned the one on Surrey Street corner which turned jnto the Concordin the mid 60's. It was there for years before that firstly as Hudsons which served good English food, then a name change to Hudsons Chop Suey Restuerant in the late 50's' It was definately one of the first in not the first other early contenders The Rickshaw, Canary and Zing Vaa in town and the Bluebird at Hillsborough corner above the shops.

Hi Mick the one on the corner of Surrey St along with the Rickshaw are the first two i remember,all the town mob used the Rickshaw as a night club.

Hi Mick the one on the corner of Surrey St along with the Rickshaw are the first two i remember,all the town mob used the Rickshaw as a night club.

Hi cuttsie,

You're right about the Rickshaw, about 12 of us use to go there on Sunday night and buy a chop suey roll so we could drink more beer after the pubs shut. Happy times.

mickowl91

My recollection is of the Rickshaw being the first, in the mid 1950's. Ask Man Gee Wang,for a definitive answer as he was the owner.

Mike

Welcome on West Bar near Turners gunshop.

Hi cuttsie,

You're right about the Rickshaw, about 12 of us use to go there on Sunday night and buy a chop suey roll so we could drink more beer after the pubs shut. Happy times.

mickowl91

We must have crossed paths..Iremember a que to get in

Saw a former waiter of Zing Vaa the other week at a family funeral. He has lived on Anglesey a long time now. Runs a successful business supplying Chinese food outlets in Wales and Merseyside. Lun Lee Young's his name anyone remember him from the early days at Zing Vaa?